What’s the secret to moving on a budget?
Budget Moving Secrets You’ve Always Wanted to Know
It’s no secret that moving can be expensive. From buying packing supplies to paying a moving company, it's easy to overspend if you're not careful to budget wisely. If you want to move affordably (and who doesn't), these expert tips can help you move on a tight budget with ease.
Moving on a Budget: The Secrets to a Cheap Move
- Downsize before your move. Your moving costs are proportionate to the amount of stuff you’re moving. Moving more stuff simply costs more. So, take some time before moving day to get rid of anything you don’t need or want. This is especially important with a moving service like U-Pack where you pay only for the space you use.
You can get a U-Pack moving quote online that shows how much you’ll save for every linear foot of space you don’t use.
- Book early. With U-Pack once your move is reserved your price is locked in and the equipment is guaranteed. Waiting until the last minute to book your move can increase the price because of higher demand – especially during the peak moving season (May through September). In ideal situations we recommend booking your move at least eight weeks in advance. Of course, that’s not always possible, but we recommend reserving as soon as possible.
- Move at off-peak times. This one is a little harder to control, but if you can avoid peak moving times, it can help you move within your budget. Peak times include Fridays and Mondays, beginning/end of the month, and summer months (when school is out).
- Get parking permits. This may seem like a strange item to add to the list, but neglecting to check on and obtain parking permits could cost you (in terms of parking/towing fines). If you’re planning on parking the moving trailer/moving container anywhere other than your private property, a permit may be required. In most cases you’ll want to check with your city or police department. If you have an HOA or apartment manager/landlord, you’ll want to check with them too.
- Add only the services you will need. Make sure you’re only paying for the services you need. U-Pack lets you customize your move by adding only the services you need. If you need storage, you can add it. If you need expedited delivery, you can add that. If you need to take your time packing, you can add that too. Talk with a moving specialist to see what options are available.
- Don’t drive a moving truck. Intuitively, you may think that driving a rental truck is the cheapest way to move. But when you’re moving long distance, that’s not always the case. Often with truck rental comes the need to tow a vehicle, and that comes at an extra cost. If you have enough drivers for the rental truck and your personal vehicles, you’ll pay to fuel the moving truck and your car. With an option like U-Pack, there’s no additional charge for fuel, taxes or the driver. You can drive across the country at your pace, in the comfort of your own car.
- Get family and friends. If you need some help moving, enlist your family and friends – pizza and drinks is normally a lot cheaper than hiring movers. But, if you do need help loading or unloading on either end of your move, U-Pack gladly refers customers to Moving Staffers.
What’s your favorite secret?
So there you have it – 7 expert tips for moving on a budget. Getting a quote for your move is simple. You can get an instant price online, or call a moving specialist at 800-413-4799 to discuss ways to save. If you have questions about these budget moving secrets, or you want to know more about how U-Pack works, we would love to hear from you – just leave a comment below!