Ways to Move and Save
Anybody who has ever moved probably knows how expensive the moving process can be. However, there are lots of ways to move and save— unfortunately, they're often overlooked! If you're moving on a budget, try these tactics to conserve cash:
- Move Less- One of the easiest ways to move and save is to pare down your belongings. Take advantage of your moving preparations by cleaning out items during packing; separating the everyday essentials from the 'wow, I don't even remember buying this' things. A good rule of thumb: if it hasn't been used/worn in a year, get rid of it!
- Get creative with packing materials- If extra moving blankets aren't in your budget, use materials you already have around the house. Try wrapping furniture in bed comforters or blankets to protect your furniture while it's in transit. Another thrifty tip: pick up extra bedding/blankets from a local resale shop, then re-donate after the move!
- Think outside the box- Use any and all resources to help you move and save. Contact local utility offices in advance to let them know you're moving— you may be able to collect the initial deposit paid if your account is in good standing at the time of termination. And remember the stuff you decided not to take with you in the move? Have a garage sale to earn some extra pocket money while recycling your unwanted items back into good use with another family.
- DIY- There's no better way to move and save than by making a Do-It-Yourself move. Invite family and friends over for a packing party and form an assembly line to make quick work of loading the moving trailer. When the job's done, treat the group to some pizza— a fun but inexpensive way to show your gratitude.
- Choose reputable movers- Check online reviews from previous customers to see what they had to say before choosing a moving company. The Better Business Bureau is also a great place to confirm that your moving company is trustworthy. You'll save time, money, and a headache by avoiding a potential moving scam.
Remember, moving doesn't have to cost a fortune. Get a free quote online from U-Pack for your move and save even more! Have any questions or comments? Call us at 800-413-4799.