Shipping Rates for Household Goods
How to ship household goods
When shipping your belongings across the country, what’s most important — finding a household goods mover who will keep your belongings secure, having your goods delivered quickly, or keeping rates low? With U-Pack®, you don’t have to choose. Our moving service saves both time and money whether shipping an entire home or just a few pieces of furniture and boxes. Explore the options and compare costs to see how U-Pack keeps shipping rates low.
Options for shipping household goods
U-Pack has flexibility for moves both big and small. And our different options allow you to customize the move depending on your needs. Our three delivery options are:
- Door-to-door shipping. A trailer or ReloCube® is delivered to your home. You then have up to three business days to load items before the equipment is picked up for delivery. You’ll have three business days to unload, too.
- Terminal-to-terminal delivery. Ideal for small moves or people who are looking for the lowest rates possible. Loading and unloading at a local service center is a great way to save on pickup and delivery costs
- Hybrid move (terminal-to-door or door-to-terminal). Going to a service center on one end of the move and having equipment delivered to your home on the other end. It’s another option to help save money and build a customized move.
Shipping cost comparisons
Traditionally, the cost of moving household goods is based on the shipment’s weight. But U-Pack does things a little differently. Rather than using weight, a U-Pack rate is based on the amount of space the items take up inside the trailer or the number of Cubes needed. Determining the final price is simple with U-Pack’s method because it’s easier to see how much space is being used than trying to guess how much everything weighs. Because each household move is different, get a free quote online to see your rate.
We’ll use an example to show how U-Pack rates work. Say you’re trying to get quotes for moving a three-bedroom home that’s about 1,800 square feet. Using our simple space estimator, you’ll need around 21 linear feet inside a U-Pack trailer. The quote includes the rate for 21 linear feet along with a “per-foot” adjustment rate. Just add or subtract from the initial quote based on how much space you end up using. If you need more space, it’s always available, and if everything can fit into less, then the price is less.
We offer flexibility with our ReloCubes, too. Say you need shipping rates for a 600 square foot, one-bedroom apartment, which we estimate would take about two Cubes. If everything fits into one Cube (after purging several items or being great at packing and loading), you only pay for one.
Customers love the service, control and price!
U-Pack household goods services
Take a look at the variety of moving scenarios we’re designed for:
- State-to-state moves. This is what U-Pack specializes in — with access to service centers across the country, U-Pack provides service to all 50 states and Puerto Rico.
- Moves into and out of Canada. U-Pack offers services for moving goods between the U.S. and Canada, with transit times that are typically much faster than other shipping companies.
- Military household goods shipping. If you’re planning a PCS move across the country, U-Pack is a great option to consider. We can provide full and empty weight tickets, fast transit times and a military moving specialist to make sure the move goes smoothly. Read more about military shipping with U-Pack.
Don’t see your situation on our list? Call us at 800-413-4799 to discuss options.
Using U-Pack for household goods shipping
Now that we’ve covered our services and how it works, here’s how U-Pack keeps shipping rates low:
- Efficient transportation. Through a network of service centers across the nation, U-Pack is able to offer long-distance shipping rates that compare to truck rental prices. There are no additional charges for things like fuel, taxes, tolls or the driver. It’s just one, all-inclusive price.
- Flexible options. We offer multiple options to help customize moves. Choose the equipment type that works best, decide when and where you want items picked up and delivered and even add storage if more time is needed!
- Fast transit times. Many traditional shipping companies take weeks (and sometimes months) to deliver household goods. Our transit times average just 2-5 business days. If you need delivery even faster, we also offer expedited service with U-Pack Guaranteed.
- Top-notch customer service. There are several areas where U-Pack shines, but one of the most important is our reputation for outstanding customer care. When you call U-Pack, you’ll speak with helpful moving consultants who are trained to support you through the entire process — from helping with a quote to planning moving day logistics.
Tips for shipping household goods safely
Once you’ve determined how your belongings will be shipped, start planning the move. We aim to make the process as simple as possible, which means sharing some of our best tips:
- Organizing. Get organized with our free (and printable!) moving checklist. It’ll help you stay on track through the entire process.
- Packing. After making a reservation, it’s time to get packing. Start by ordering professional moving boxes to protect the shipment. While packing, clearly label boxes, so they’ll be easy to identify when unloading. Don’t forget to check the do not ship list for items that shouldn’t be packed and loaded in the moving equipment.
- Loading. Loading items high and tight has several advantages — it helps keep costs to a minimum by maximizing space inside the trailer or container, and it can also prevent items from moving around. Be sure to secure belongings with straps, bungee cords or utility rope so they’re less likely to shift in transit.
- Leaving. Before hitting the road, pack a kit that includes things you’ll need while traveling. These items may include prescription medication, moving information and directions, snacks and travel activities. We also recommend packing an “essentials box” to be loaded last so it can be grabbed first when unloading.
Compare shipping rates
Compare shipping rates with a moving quote. Call 800-413-4799 or get a quote online. Have questions about shipping household goods? We’re here to help — leave a comment below.