Ryder Truck Rental
Everything you need to know about Ryder rentals
If you’re looking to move long distance, you might be considering Ryder truck rental as an option —if so, there are some important factors to consider before you make a reservation. Let’s dive into the essential information including rental locations, equipment sizes, gas mileage and the overall costs associated with renting from Ryder.
Ryder truck rental options
Ryder rents trailers, vans and trucks, with three options available for household use: the Metro Van, City Van and Straight Truck.
- The Metro Van is a light-duty van with 547 cubic feet of loading room.
- The City Van comes in either a 14- or 16-foot size, depending on availability at your location. City vans come with either a lift gate or ramp.
- The Straight Truck comes in 22-, 24-, and 26-foot sizes, depending on location. Each has a lift gate and a 14-foot ramp for loading.
They also offer commercial rentals (details available on their website). Ryder trailer rentals include a dry trailer, flatbed trailer, refrigerated trailer, refrigerated city van, refrigerated and stake trucks and single and tandem axle tractors.
Things to know before renting a Ryder truck
Here’s what you need to know about Ryder rentals before making a reservation:
- No one-way rentals. Although there are over 500 Ryder truck rental locations across the country, they only offer round-trip rentals. This means the truck must be returned to the same place it was picked up. Though you can still drive it long-distance, round-trip rentals can be complicated when you’re moving because you’ll have to figure out how to get the truck back to your starting point.
- Limited insurance coverage. To rent from Ryder, you‘ll need to provide proof of rental insurance (with $1,000,000 liability coverage) or purchase their coverage at an additional cost. The Ryder Protection Advantage gives you liability coverage and physical damage protection for the vehicle. This coverage does not include the cost of towing and securing a replacement vehicle if you break down. They offer two levels of insurance: Basic (with state limits and a $1,000 deductible) and Premium (with $1,000,000 coverage and a $500 deductible).
- Unlimited mileage isn’t an option. Ryder does not offer unlimited mileage. Instead, you pay per mile. Since their truck rentals are round-trip only, you’ll be paying for each mile of the return trip.
- Different truck sizes may be substituted. They have a clause stating that they may substitute sizes or locations depending on availability. In other words, your reservation is not guaranteed.
- A CDL isn’t necessary. To rent a Ryder truck for household moving, you must be 18 years or older and have a driver’s license. While a CDL is needed to rent from Ryder commercially, it’s not required for household moving rentals. You can have multiple drivers on your account, but there may be a fee for adding each driver (policies vary by location).
- Rental rates apply per day. Ryder moving trucks are billed for 24-hour periods. This means that if you pick up at 8:00 a.m. one day, you can use it until 8:00 a.m. the following day. If you return the truck later than your 24 hours, you pay for an additional day. Partial or prorated day rates are not available.
For an alternative to Ryder truck rentals, check out U-Pack®. U-Pack is a “you pack, we drive” moving service that allows you to do a one-way move at an affordable price, without having to drive. U-Pack rates include liability coverage and mileage and there’s no down payment or deposit required. We deliver your belongings right to your door, so you don’t have to worry about driving a bulky truck to your new home (or back to the service center).
Ryder truck gas mileage
Fuel economy is an important factor to consider when planning your move. If you drive a Ryder rental, you’ll have to pay for fuel. Check out the rental truck fuel calculator to see how much fuel will cost for your move. Keep in mind that the gas mileage estimates below are for an empty truck; when loaded, the fuel economy will likely decrease.
- The Metro Van can get up to 25 MPG
- The City Van averages 10-2 MPG
- The Straight Truck averages 8-12 MPG
To compare, U-Pack prices include fuel, plus the driver and any road tolls.
Common questions about Ryder truck rentals
How much do Ryder truck rentals hold?
The Metro Van holds 1-2 rooms, the City Van holds 3-4 rooms and the Straight Truck holds 5-8 rooms. However, you should note that these are approximations and, depending on the contents of your home, you may need more space than they estimate.
What if you’re not sure how much space you need?
Ryder rental trucks come in fixed sizes, making an exact match for the space you need difficult to find. Selecting a smaller size may mean running out of room, but choosing a bigger one could result in paying for space you don’t need.
U-Pack offers the flexibility to only pay for the space you use, which eliminates the worry of running out of room or paying for unused space. And the best part is: you don’t have to drive! Pack and load your items into a moving trailer or container and we’ll deliver it to your destination at a rate that’s comparable to driving a rental.
How much do rentals cost?
Ryder rates vary based on the amount of time you need the rental and how far you drive it. They will quote both daily rates and weekly rates and there are also additional “per mile” charges. Don’t forget to budget for liability coverage, taxes and fuel!
Does Ryder require a deposit?
Ryder requires “non-billing clients” to provide a deposit. That means that most household moves will require a credit card deposit.
Do you have to stop at weigh stations when driving Ryder rental trucks?
It depends. Each state has different rules. Check out the complete list of states that require you to stop at a weigh station.
How can you move without driving a Ryder truck?
U-Pack rates include all of the “extras” you’ll pay with truck rental, and then some! Our rates include fuel, liability coverage, the equipment and a professional driver – No deposit required. Compare U-Pack to truck rental to see how you can save time and money and then get a U-Pack moving quote. If you have any questions about moving, leave us a comment below. We’re here to help!
Additional truck rental resources
Ryder® is a registered trademark of Ryder System Inc. Use of third-party trademarks or registered trademarks does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by such third-party.