NeighborhoodScout Relocation Tools
When you’re moving to a new area, it’s only natural to want as much information as possible about your new neighborhood. After all, you want to make sure the area is safe and will fit the needs and wants of your family. The internet offers a wide variety of research options to help you find what you’re looking for, but suggest trying out NeighborhoodScout.com for neighborhood reports.
What is NeighborhoodScout.com?
NeighborhoodScout® is an easy-to-use website that provides information about communities all over the United States. According to the site, it “delivers accuracy, reliability and a customized Neighborhood Profile to compare neighborhood characteristics.” In other words, the site uses nationwide statistics to help you determine the best place to live. It offers unique features that allow you to:
- Learn about any place in the U.S.
- Build an ideal neighborhood by filtering locations based on lifestyle preference or business needs
- Find a “twin” neighborhood that matches your current location
What other information does it offer?
Getting information on a new area can be stressful, but NeighborhoodScout® provides an informational overview that’s easy to interpret. It also has Scout’s top lists, a useful resource that provides reliable information that could be crucial to your transfer. The top lists include information on:
- U.S. cities with highest murder rates
- Most dangerous cities in America
- Safest cities in America
- 25 most dangerous neighborhoods
- America’s best public schools
- Top 100 worst public schools in the U.S.
- American’s best elementary, middle and high schools
- Affordable neighborhoods with great schools
- Top 100 highest appreciating cities
Other beneficial sections include:
- Public school ratings. This section provides school rating information on the best public schools in a particular area so you can hand-pick the best educational system. The public school ratings tool allows you to compare test scores, class sizes, learning environments, types of students and educational expenditures for almost every school and district in the United States. Most parents choose NeighborhoodScout® when researching schools because it offers exclusive comparative school rankings so you can see exactly how any public school compares to another, even across state lines.
- Crime rates. What makes any neighborhood livable is based on personal preference, but safety is always a concern. When people move, they’re unsure about the safety of their new location – which is why the crime rates tool is so helpful. It reveals the number of violent, property and total crimes for every neighborhood in America and also shows how each region compares to another. NeighborhoodScout® takes crime data and statistics straight from the FBI and U.S. Justice Department to create easy-to-read crime reports from all 18,000 local law enforcement agencies. When on the website, just type in your new address at the top to see the crime statistics for that area. You’ll easily discover the crime index information for any neighborhood, city or town.
- Neighborhood appreciation rates. When buying a new home, most buyers like to know which neighborhoods have the highest home appreciation rates. The appreciation rates tool provides neighborhood quarterly appreciation rates, annual appreciation rates, 2-year appreciation rates, 5-year appreciation rates, 10-year appreciation rates and appreciation rates from 1990 to present. Buying a home is a big investment, so it’s wise to make sure your new neighborhood meets the property values you want.
Note: Unfortunately, a lot of this information requires a paid subscription. However, if you’re moving and feel unsure about the decision, it may be worth the money to find out as much as possible about where you’ll be living.
Sites similar to NeighborhoodScout®
NeighborhoodScout® is not the only tool on the internet for researching a new city. If you don’t like the idea of paying for these services, there are plenty of free resources you may find useful:
Zillow.com. This is an excellent place for homebuyers to search for homes, get mortgage quotes and get advice on buying a house from real estate professionals.
Trulia.com. This website offers another place for homebuyers to find the tools and information they need to research houses and neighborhoods.
StreetAdvisor. You’ll love this site for discovering information about your new neighborhood. It’s a place where real people talk about their towns. You can research neighborhoods based on your needs and talk directly to locals.
Walk Score. Learn how walkable your new neighborhood is with this website. Perfect for folks who hope to hit the streets on foot rather than by car.
Yelp, Foursquare and Zomato. These sites (and apps) will help you find the best restaurants, shopping and nightlife in your new area!
Yahoo! Answers. Just type in “neighborhoods in (your city)” to see discussions about the places you’re considering calling home.
Crimereports.com. This site will help you learn about neighborhood crime rates.
Sex Offender Registry Websites. This is the National Sex Offender Public Website coordinated by the Department of Justice. Here you can search the latest information from all 50 states for the identity and location of known sex offenders.
Greatschools.org. If you have school-age children, this is a great resource for determining which neighborhoods are near the best schools.
Movoto.com. This real estate service offers the tools and information needed to find homes by location and price while also offering information on schools and the best/safest places to live.
Hopefully, this information will help you find the perfect neighborhood for your family! If you’ve found the neighborhood for you and have questions about moving, leave a comment below. If you want to check moving rates, give U-Pack a call at 800-413-4799 or get a free online quote.