Murphy's Laws of Moving: How to Avoid Them
Things That Can Go Wrong When Moving
I’m sure you know about Murphy’s Law – “If anything can go wrong, it will.” Well, we have heard plenty of instances where old Murphy messed with moving day. Here are some common “Murphy’s Laws” of moving (and how to avoid them on moving day!).
Murphy’s Laws of Moving (and how to avoid them!)
- The tape, markers, and scissors are never where you last put them. Have doubles or triples of these essential items, and designate a spot for them. Maybe even mark a square on the floor in tape, and then always return these items back to “the spot” so you can find them when you need them.
- Your house is always too small, until you have to pack everything up. Start packing early, and follow our packing tips to make sure everything is well protected.
- There is never enough Bubble Wrap®. Buy more than you think you’ll need. Leftover bubble wrap is great stress relief. I mean, who doesn’t love popping those little bubbles!
- You were in great health all year, but got sick on moving day. Be sure to get plenty of rest, eat well, and take your vitamins leading up to moving day. The stress can wear on your body, making you sick.
- You finally found that “something” you have spent years looking for, but you don’t need it any more. Weeks before your move, take time to get rid of unwanted stuff, so you don’t have any surprises on moving day.
- Your kids want to help, but they break something expensive. It’s a great idea to get kids involved in your move, but remember to keep them (and your stuff) safe. Let them pack unbreakable items (like books or stuffed animals). And check out these tips for keeping kids safe on moving day.
- Your bills are set to auto draft, and on moving day, you are out of money. Make sure you are ready to pay for your move. Talk with your bank and credit card company about the upcoming charges so they don’t close your account for insufficient funds or “suspicious activity” as you travel across the country.
- Your child’s favorite toy gets packed, and a tantrum ensues. Before moving day, set essential items (like your kids blanket or favorite toy) aside to keep with you. Here are some more tips for things to do before moving day, from medical records to transferring your mail.
- There is a year-long drought, but a downpour on moving day. Make alternate plans before moving day. What type of weather might ruin moving day? Rain? Snow? Extreme heat? Plan for dealing with those extremes, just in case. Get some tarps, buy extra gloves and hats, or get fans and water bottles. If you fail to plan, you plan to fail, so make a plan for the worst-case weather scenario.
- Traffic is flowing in the other direction. Your lane is at a standstill. You have to options. 1) Use your GPS or smart phone to find another route. Or 2) Enjoy the trip! Crank up the music and jam or play a game of “I Spy,” and make the most of your trip!
The best way to avoid most mishaps on moving day is to use a great moving service. U-Pack will make moving simple for you! How? Well, U-Pack does the stressful stuff, like driving.
A move with U-Pack works like this:
- U-Pack brings you a moving trailer or moving container.
- You pack it up.
- Then, U-Pack drives it to your house.
- You unload.
- U-Pack picks up the empty equipment.
U-Pack takes Murphy out of the equation for issues like…
…Running out of room in the rental truck - with U-Pack, you just use what space you need…and then pay for the space you use.
…Having a wreck in the moving truck – there is no driving a bulky truck with U-Pack! U-Pack does the driving.
…Or paying hundreds of bucks for fuel – fuel (and other transportation costs like tolls, taxes, and liability coverage) are included in the price.
If you want to make moving easy and affordable, go U-Pack. To see how you can move with U-Pack, just click to get a free moving quote.
If you need help planning your move, just leave a comment below. I’ll be happy to help. Good luck on your move! And watch out for Murphy’s Law while moving!