Moving Out Of State Checklist
I love the e-card on Pinterest that says “Sometimes I write down tasks after I’ve done them, just to get the satisfaction of crossing them off my list.” I agree – there’s just something great about checking tasks off a list. I feel accomplished, efficient, and just happy to be getting things done. For a move out of state, you’ll need a good checklist to keep you on task to ensure a successful move.
I suggest using this free printable moving checklist from U-Pack! It starts at eight weeks before your move, covers tasks during your move, and even after you’ve arrived at your new home. If you have a short-notice move, U-Pack still may be able to help, just give us a call at 800-413-4799.
Here’s a preview of what you can find on the moving out of state checklist:
Before your move:
Get moving quotes and compare. Start with a free moving quote from U-Pack.
- Create a “move file” to keep track of quotes, receipts, and other moving info.
- Arrange school and veterinarian records to be transferred.
- Cancel or transfer health club, organization, or group memberships.
- Plan and hold a garage sale.
- Order moving boxes and supplies.
- Forward your mail with the U.S. Postal Service.
- Disconnect utilities in your old location and schedule connection in your new location.
- Notify friends and family of your move with a free moving notice.
- Change or transfer bank accounts.
- Put down carpet, floor, and door protectors throughout your home.
- Check every room and closet one last time.
- Leave a note with your new address so future residents can forward stray mail.
After your move:
- Make sure all utilities are turned on before you move in.
- Get a new driver’s license, vehicle registration, and register to vote.
- File your “move file” in a safe place.
As you can see, there’s a lot to do before your trailer or moving container arrives at your home for loading. If you have more questions about what you need for your state to state move, leave me a comment and I’ll respond! Start today with a free moving quote from U-Pack and don’t forget to download your moving out of state checklist.