Moving Cost Calculator
Figure out moving costs
Calculating a moving budget can be tricky if you don’t know what costs to account for. And because many factors can contribute to the price — such as the home size and the distance between origin and destination — it can be difficult to know which moving company to choose. A moving cost calculator can make the process easier because it helps you determine rates in advance. Whether you’ve just started checking prices or are ready to make a reservation, U-Pack® makes it easy to calculate costs.
How to calculate moving expenses
The easiest method for determining moving expenses is to use the U-Pack moving quote form. You’ll need to know a few pieces of information to ensure accurate results. Input these details to get a rate:
- The size of the home. Knowing how much you’re moving is vital for calculating the price because U-Pack rates are based on the amount of space used in the equipment. Just enter the residence size to get an idea of how much space you’ll need.
- The move date. Just like airlines or hotels, moving company rates change based on demand. If you’re looking to cut costs, a helpful consultant can determine the most affordable date during a particular timeframe.
- Where you’re moving to/from. Rates are influenced by the distance the origin and destination are from each other, along with the distance they are from our service centers. If you don’t have an exact destination address yet, we can give an estimate using zip codes.
Enter all of those details into the moving quote form to see a price instantly (in some rare cases, a consultant will need to look over the move, and a quote will be emailed in one business day). If you prefer to get a quote over the phone, call 800-413-4799 and a consultant will use the moving calculator on their end.
Understanding moving costs
When using a moving cost calculator, it’s important understand the results, and know if there are other expenses that need to be factored in.
Here’s what’s included in a U-Pack moving quote:
- Equipment type. Options are a moving trailer or moving container. If both types are available, you can toggle between options to compare rates.
- Services. Under “transportation,” you’ll find:
o The amount of space — either linear footage in the trailer, or the number of Cubes
o The delivery type — door to door will be the default if it’s available in your locations. Explore delivery options here.
o The delivery date — which was chosen based on the parameters set on the moving calculator. This is the date the empty equipment will be delivered for loading (we can change it later if a different date is needed).
o The estimated transit time — the amount of time (counted in business days) that it will take your belongings to travel from origin to destination. Guaranteed service is available for moves that have specific transit needs.
The price listed includes the equipment rental, loading and unloading time, taxes, liability coverage, fuel and transportation.
Don’t forget to factor in any additional services or “soft costs” such as:
- Storage. If you need additional time to load or unload or aren’t sure where the permanent destination is, storage is available. A moving consultant can provide a quote if storage is needed.
- Guaranteed transit. As mentioned above, if you need everything delivered faster or on a specific date, this service is ideal. Those starting school or a new job may want to add this service to guarantee their belongings arrive in plenty of time to unload and get settled.
- Moving supplies. Using professional supplies ensures your items are protecting while moving. Check prices on moving boxes and supplies at the U-Pack Box Store.
- Travel. Budget for your family’s travel costs — account for hotel stays, food and fuel in your personal vehicle.
- Loading and unloading. If you need help loading or unloading, include the price of moving labor in the budget.
How to reduce moving costs
Did the moving calculator give a higher rate than anticipated? There are a few ways to lower it:
- Be flexible with the date. Mid-week, mid-month is typically the most affordable time to move. A consultant will be able to help determine the most cost-effective date.
- Get rid of unwanted items. Since U-Pack rates are based on the space you use, getting rid of things can make a big impact. The moving cost calculator will determine a “per foot adjustment rate” showing you how the price will change if more or less space is used. Saving even just a few linear feet can make a difference.
- Load or unload at the service center. It takes a little more work, but if you can load or unload at the local service center, the price will be lower than door-to-door delivery.
Have questions about the U-Pack moving cost estimator?
For help getting a quote, or for questions about moving costs, let us know in the comments below. We’re here to help make the process as easy and affordable as possible.