Moving a Pack Rat
How to Move a Pack Rat
Picture this: a cluttered garage, a closet stuffed to the brim, and a kitchen too messy to eat in. That’s what a pack rat’s world looks like. What’s a pack rat? Simply put, it’s someone who collects or keeps things that aren’t needed. There’s a little pack rat in all of us, but if you or someone you know is a true pack rat, then you (or they) may be wondering how to handle an upcoming move. Moving is tough no matter what, but when you have too much stuff it just complicates things even more.
Moving a pack rat doesn’t have to be stressful – with our help you can prepare for the move while moving easily and affordably.
Preparing a Pack Rat for a Move
The most important thing to do before moving is to pare down your belongings by getting rid of things you don’t need. For a pack rat, this can be really difficult. Psychology Today reports that there may be emotional and psychological issues at play with those who hoard belongings. For instance, the things a pack rat holds on to can have emotional attachments such as a reminder of a significant event – such as keeping every outfit from a child’s youth. Other items may fuel their personal identity – such a person who identifies as a cook keeping way too many cook books and kitchen tools.
It’s vital when asking a pack rat to get rid of some things to start slow. Instead of asking them to get rid of entire collections, try to just pare down. For example, if there are boxes of old magazines, instead of throwing them all out, ask them to keep their favorite 10. The experts in that article recommend trying to deal with items all at once, so take a block of time and tackle everything - don’t set items aside and say “I’ll deal with this later.” Decide to display, discard, save, sell, or donate – and stick to that decision. It’s also helpful for an impartial friend to be there during clean-out. If the items have emotional memories, take a photo before getting rid of it. You can keep the memory, but ditch the unwanted item. Once you pare down your belongings, you are ready to get a moving quote.
Moving a Pack Rat on a Budget
Moving rates are primarily based on how far you’re moving and how much stuff you’re moving. The latter can be the big issue for pack rats. There’s uncertainty about whether there’s a truck large enough for everything and whether sticking to a moving budget is a possibility.
U-Pack is a great option for taking those worries away.
It’s a “you pack, we drive” moving service that allows you to pay only for the space you use – Perfect for moving a pack rat!
- The trailer is the equivalent of a 26’ rental truck plus a 10’ moving truck. Externally it measures 28’ x 8’ x 9’ and internally it measures 324 in. x 96 in. x 108 in. (lwh). You can use as little as 5’ linear feet in the truck, the entire trailer, or anywhere in between.
- ReloCubes are 6’ x 7’ x 8’ metal weatherproof containers that sit flat on the ground. You can reserve as many as you think you’ll need, but pay only for those you end up using.
Regardless of which affordable moving container you choose, a U-Pack move includes these great perks:
- Flexible loading and unloading. Most U-Pack moves come with three business days for loading and three business days for unloading, so you can take your time and decide exactly what you want to move.
- Fast transit times. Most U-Pack moves travel across the country in just 2-5 business days.
- No deposit required. You reserve your move, but you don’t pay until after you load your belongings.
- Storage options. If you need a little extra time to get settled, U-Pack has no-transfer storage options so you can store your belongings directly in the container.
- No driving! The best thing about U-Pack is that you don’t have to drive! Once you load your belongings, U-Pack picks them up and delivers them to your new home. Fuel, the driver, standard liability insurance, and tolls are all included with U-Pack!
U-Pack: The Pack Rat’s Best Choice for Moving
When you have a lot of stuff to move, U-Pack is a great solution. You can get a quote for your U-Pack move in just a couple clicks here. Or, call us at 800-413-4799 to speak to a helpful moving specialist. See how affordably U-Pack can move a pack rat.
If you have any questions about paring down a pack rat’s belongings, or moving a pack rat, leave us a comment! We’re here to help.