Home / Categories / Military Moving / Military Weight Tickets

Military Weight Tickets

September 13th, 2017 - 11:00 AM

Do I need weight tickets for my military move?

When doing a Personally Procured Move (PPM), also known as a Do-It-Yourself (DITY) move for the military, weight tickets are an important detail. Without them, you can’t be reimbursed. If you’re using U-Pack® for a military move, we can provide them — saving you the trouble of finding certified scales. Start by visiting the Transportation Office to get approved for a PPM, and we’ll take care of the rest.

Military weight tickets are required for military moves.

Getting certified weight tickets

Each branch of service requires specific information for reimbursement. You should confirm the details with the Transportation Office, but weight tickets typically need to include:

  • The name/location of scales
  • The moving equipment identification
  • Weighing date
  • The Weight Master’s signature
  • The accurate weight of the belongings

You will have two weight tickets — one showing the loaded weight (vehicle with a full tank of gas, belongings, but no driver or passengers) and the other showing the empty weight (vehicle with a full tank of gas and no driver or passengers). These measurements are used to calculate the weight of your household goods by subtracting the empty weight from the loaded weight.

If you’re doing a complete DIY move, you’ll be responsible for weighing the vehicle at an approved location and providing the information listed above. It’s important to note that not all weigh stations on the side of the interstate are certified. Find out where to get certified weight tickets on this map from Move.mil.

How U-Pack handles DITY move weight tickets

Moving with U-Pack is different from driving a rental truck — we do some of the work. Because we handle the transportation, you’re free to travel in your own vehicle and don’t have to get your own weight tickets. Simply request the weight tickets when booking, and we’ll weigh the trailer or container before and after you load belongings inside.  

A U-Pack military moving specialist will email the weight tickets so you can submit them for reimbursement. Contact us at (877) 610-5790 for additional copies or assistance.

Other documents needed for a successful PPM

After the move, you’ll need to submit paperwork (the usual guidelines give 45 days to submit a claim for reimbursement). Required documents may vary based on branch of service, but you will typically need to submit the following forms (get copies from the Transportation Office):

  • Empty and loaded weight tickets (two copies)
  • PPM Checklist and Expense Certification (and any receipts for moving-related expenses)
  • PPM Move expense sheet
  • PCS orders
  • Copy of U-Pack Bill of Lading
  • DD Form 2278
  • Any paperwork from an advance operating allowance (if applicable)

Since there are so many things to keep track of during a military move, U-Pack created a printable PCS Checklist. Just print it out and keep it with you throughout the move to stay on track.

Have questions about weight tickets or DITY moves?

If you have questions about military moving or getting certified weight tickets, we’re happy to help — leave a comment below, or call our military moving specialists at (877) 610-5790