How to Pack Toys for Moving
Packing toys for a move
Toys come in all shapes and sizes, which can make them difficult to pack for a long-distance move. If you have kids, we’ll show you how to properly pack their treasured toys so they travel safe, sound, and ready for play at your new home.
Gather these supplies to get started:
Watch this video for helpful instructions:
A video on how to pack toys for a move
Easy directions for how to pack toys
1. Line the box with crushed packing paper. This gives some extra cushion as you pack loose toys inside the box.
2. Bundle small toys and accessories in packing paper. This includes toys such as Hot Wheels®, small Barbie® accessories, and other small toys. Zip-top bags are also a great way to keep tiny pieces from getting lost.
3. Place larger toys directly in the box. This includes toy trucks, board games, action figures, and other toys that get a lot of playtime. Once the larger items are in the box, place the small toy bundles into the box, too.
4. Delicate toys go in a separate box. This includes stuffed toys and other fragile toys, such as remote control helicopters, model airplanes, model cars, etc. You can wrap these toys in packing paper if you’d like, or place them directly in the box.
5. Fill gaps with crushed packing paper. If there are gaps, there’s a greater chance for the toys to shift during the move.
6. Tape and label the box. Use packing tape to secure the box shut, then label the box with the contents inside and “FRAGILE” for the box with fragile toys inside.
More tips for packing toys
- Before you pack every toy, sort through to see if there are any you can donate, sell, or discard—the less you have to move, the easier it’ll be!
- Let your child keep a few of their favorite toys with them, instead of loading them on to the moving truck.
- Read this blog post on moving with kids! It includes tips for how to get your kids involved in the move, how to add fun to moving, books about moving, and much more.
More packing tips for your move
Do you have questions about how to pack a certain toy or other household items? Leave a comment below and we’ll be happy to help. You can also watch these other step-by-step how-to videos! And, if you’re at the beginning of planning your long-distance move, call U-Pack® at 800-413-4799 to get a free moving quote. We’ll do the driving – you just pack and load!