How to pack small appliances
Packing Small Appliances for a Move
Small kitchen appliances like your toaster, microwave, or coffee maker are just some of the essential items you’ll use after you move into your new home. As you prepare to move, it’s a good idea to know how to properly pack your small appliances so they arrive safe, secure, and ready to use.
Here’s what you’ll need: (Get these supplies from the U-Pack Box Store)
Video about how to pack small appliances for moving.
Easy Instructions for Packing
1. Use original boxes if you have them. Simply put it back in the box it came in, and tape it shut. That’s it! If you don’t have the original box, gather sturdy moving boxes.
2. Cover the prongs with foam. It’ll protect the finish from dents and scratches. If you don’t have foam, use bubble wrap. Don’t forget to remove any parts inside the appliance, such as trays, and wrap those separately.
3. Wrap it like a present. Gather the cord and wrap the appliance in paper padding (if it’s a large like a microwave) or in packing paper (if it’s a small like a toaster). Use tape to secure the wrap around it.
4. Line the box with packing paper. It’ll give extra cushion and protection.
5. Place the appliance upright in the box. If you pack multiple appliances in one box, put the heavier items in the bottom and lighter items on top.
6. Fill gaps with crushed packing paper. Any empty space can cause the appliance to shift.
7. Close and tape the box. Use a marker to label the box with the contents and write “FRAGILE” if it contains glass parts.
Appliances can get heavy fast. It’s a good idea to reinforce the bottom of each box with packing tape, and to limit the weight of each box to 40 lbs. so it’s easier to move into and out of the moving truck.
If you have any other questions about packing your appliances or other household goods, let us know. You can also view this and other helpful how-to videos for more packing advice! And, if you’re interested in moving long distance without driving a rental truck, call U-Pack® at 800-413-4799 to get an instant moving quote.