How to pack silverware
How to pack your silverware for moving
Your everyday silverware is an essential part of the kitchen, and one of the first things you may use after you move. That’s why it’s important to make sure it’s properly packed so it arrives ready to use in your new home. You’ll need the following supplies to get started:
- A small moving box
- Packing paper or a small roll of stretch wrap with a tension control handle
- A marker
If you’re more of a visual learner, watch this video for easy packing instructions:
How to pack flatware for moving video
Silverware packing instructions
1. Line the box. Use crushed packing paper to provide extra cushion for your silverware.
2. Wrap tray. You can wrap your tray with plastic wrap, or packing paper.
To wrap in plastic wrap, use the tension control handle to guide the wrap around the tray. The wrap will stick to itself, so you don’t need tape to secure it.
To wrap in packing paper, take a half sheet of paper and place it on top of the tray. Then, place the tray on a stack of packing paper and use several sheets to wrap around the tray, like a present.
3. Place tray flat inside. This will help ensure that the silverware stays in place during the move.
4. Fill gaps. Used crushed packing paper to keep the tray secure.
5. Tape the box closed. Once the box is closed, label the outside “Silverware.”
What to do if you don’t have a tray for your silverware
If your silverware is lying in a drawer with no tray, we recommend bundling similar pieces together and wrapping in packing paper. Then, place the bundles flat inside the box as you would with the tray, or pack the bundles with other kitchen utensils.
More helpful tips for packing your flatware
- If you have room in your box, you might consider packing other lightweight kitchen items with the silverware.
- If you’re already packing a dish pack box, you might consider packing the silverware tray at the top of the dish pack, instead of in a separate box.
If you have questions about how to pack your silverware, or how to pack your other household items, we’re here to help – just leave a comment below. We also have many other helpful how-to-pack videos to help you become a master packer. And, if you’re planning a long-distance move, be sure to consider U-Pack® as an affordable alternative to truck rental. Get a free moving quote online or call 800-413-4799.