How to Pack Jewelry
Tips for Packing Jewelry
Diamonds might be a girl’s best friend, but protecting any type of jewelry when moving or traveling is always a good idea. Whether you have a couple pieces of special jewelry, or lots of costume jewelry, you’ll want to pack it properly. Check out these methods for packing jewelry to ensure your pieces arrive at your destination in good shape.
How to Pack Jewelry: Moving Tips and Hacks
We recommend keeping precious jewelry with you for safekeeping as you travel to your new home, though trendy or costume pieces can be packed and moved with your other household belongings. We’ve compiled a list of ways you can safely pack jewelry—take a look!
- Take valuable or meaningful pieces with you in a travel jewelry roll. These jewelry cases have lots of small compartments to keep pieces separate, which makes packing jewelry for travel a breeze.
- A daily pill case can also double as a travel jewelry organizer for small pieces like earrings or rings. This is especially helpful if you’re taking a trip—easily coordinate your jewelry by day!
- To keep necklaces and bracelets from tangling, thread them through a straw. Simply thread the jewelry through and clasp it, trimming the straw to the length you need if necessary. For chunkier pieces, thread them through a paper towel roll to keep them separate. Wrap each piece in tissue for added protection.
- To pack several random pieces of jewelry at once, take a sheet of re-sealable kitchen wrap and place your jewelry on half of the sheet. Fold the wrap over and press around your items to keep them separate.
- Place individual earrings through buttons to keep the pairs together.
- Another way to pack earrings is to thread them through a small sheet of foam. Tape over the earring backs on the back of the foam sheet to keep them from slipping out.
- One other easy way to pack jewelry of any kind is to wrap each piece in a sheet of packing paper, tissue paper, or plastic zippered bag. You can then put the pieces back into your jewelry box, wrap your jewelry box entirely in packing paper, and pack it in a moving box.
- If you have a standing jewelry armoire, there are a few options: follow the previous tips for how to pack jewelry pieces individually and pack them in a properly padded box on their own, or wrap each piece in tissue paper as mentioned above and place them back in the armoire. Then wrap the armoire in padded packing paper or a moving blanket as you would any other piece of furniture.
These methods will have you packing jewelry like a pro! And if you’re looking for an affordable way to move all of your stuff, check out U-Pack for an easy moving solution. Get an instant moving quote online or call 800-413-4799.
Have questions about how to pack jewelry (or anything else moving-related)? Just leave a comment.
For more packing and moving tips, check out our Moving Resources section!