How to move without driving a rental truck (and still save money)
DIY moving without a rental truck
While most people immediately think “truck rental” when they think of self-service moving, there are other options available. Small, local moves can be done with cargo trailers or multiple trips in a personal vehicle, but those options aren’t ideal for every situation. If you want to save money on a long-distance move, but would like to avoid long hours behind the wheel of an unfamiliar vehicle, a method that doesn’t involve driving may be best. Compare truck rental to a DIY moving service like U-Pack® to see how you can save.
How U-Pack lets you move without a truck
U-Pack is a moving service where you don’t have to drive an unfamiliar vehicle or worry about returning equipment. While the service is unique, the price isn’t — U-Pack rates are comparable to truck rental. It works like this:
- We bring equipment to your home
- You load your belongings inside
- We pick up the equipment and deliver it to the new home
- You unload
- We pick up the empty equipment
And you’re done! There’s no picking up equipment, no worrying about stopping for fuel and no driving a rental truck. And even though you aren’t hauling them, your belongings still arrive quickly. Transit times average just 2-5 business days. If more time is needed, storage is simple. Instead of everything getting transferred into a storage unit, it will stay in the moving equipment. Options include storing at origin, at destination, or on-site.
And if you’d rather fly than drive (or if there are more vehicles than drivers), Mr. Car Shipper is a reliable option for vehicle transport. You can contact them at 877-528-9627 for a quote.
Want to move without driving, but worry about sticking to your budget? U-Pack offers competitive rates. To compare, start by getting a moving quote online or by calling 800-413-4799. The quote includes the equipment, transportation, fuel, taxes and liability coverage. The only extra costs would be for added services like storage or guaranteed transit.
A truck rental quote will only include the equipment rental for a set number of days and/or miles. On top of that price, you’ll need to add in the cost of fuel, liability coverage and taxes. Check the rental truck fuel calculator to estimate fuel costs.
Tips for saving money
There are a few ways to make U-Pack rates even lower. Here are three simple ways to cut costs:
- Choose the right move date. Some days have higher demand, and prices may go up due to that. Picking an off-peak date can help reduce costs.
- Load or unload at a service center. Another way to save is to load, unload (or both) at a local service center. U-Pack has more than 230 service centers across the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico, so there’s likely to be one near you. This option can result in significant savings!
- Get rid of unwanted items. U-Pack rates are based on the space you use — so using less space means a lower price. Get rid of any unwanted items (either by donating, selling or throwing away), to help save.
Move without a rental truck with U-Pack
If you’re looking for affordable, self-service moving, check out U-Pack. You can move without having to drive at a price comparable to truck rental. Get a moving quote to compare prices. If you have any questions about moving with U-Pack, leave a comment below. We’re happy to help.