Finding Movers and Packers
Need help moving? Here’s how to find it!
Moving can involve a lot of hard work. And things like heavy furniture, bulky items, stairs and narrow hallways can make it even more complicated — especially if you’re moving alone or with only a few people to help. To make it easier, you can add labor to your U-Pack move and get assistance with the heavy lifting. We make it easy to find local movers, and you still get to move affordably!
How U-Pack refers movers
We partnered with Moving Staffers, a nationwide moving labor network, to connect our customers with experienced local providers across the United States. The process of adding a crew is simple: When reserving your move, we can book the moving labor for you. You’ll have to book a minimum of two people for two hours, but you can add additional movers or time if needed.
After booking, you’ll receive an email with the terms of the moving labor. Simply open that email as soon as you receive it, then click the link to accept the terms. This secures mover availability for your date.
What to look for when choosing a moving crew
When finding movers and packers, it’s important to check the safety and security of the crew. You’re putting your belongings into their care, so you want to make sure they know what they’re doing. The movers U-Pack refers are pre-qualified and trained, but it’s important to note that you’ll be in charge of managing them. Make a plan for items you’ll want them to load or unload, and be prepared to give direction, if needed. The movers will be able to provide minor assembly or disassembly. And if you have boxes and supplies ready, they can help prepare items to load.
Tips for hiring movers:
- Schedule them following the arrival of the equipment. If you’d like them to load on Friday, have the moving equipment arrive on Thursday. Scheduling them the next day ensures there won’t be any downtime while waiting for equipment delivery.
- Consider how big the crew is. If you have oversized or extremely heavy furniture, you might want to add an extra person to the crew.
- Think about tipping. Though you’re paying for their service, you may want to reward great help with a tip. This is completely up to you, but these tipping guidelines may help.
What about packing services?
One of the main reasons people are interested in pack and load services is that they want to protect their belongings. However, finding packing service isn’t always easy because it’s usually bundled with other moving services, like full loading and transportation. The good news is that packing isn’t as hard as it may sound! Ask some friends or family to help, and you’ll finish in no time.
By using professional supplies and protecting everything well, you can pack your items the same (or even better) than a mover. Follow our packing tips to get started.
Doing your own packing comes with several benefits:
- Customized organization. Hired packing help typically puts items together in boxes based on where they find them. By doing it yourself, you can pack things so unpacking is easier. For example, if the new home has more bedrooms, you can pack specifically for that floorplan instead of your current one.
- Extra protection for special items. Special things are not just those that are large or expensive. Some pieces have sentimental value. You can take extra care packing notable items.
- Time to get rid of unwanted stuff. As you go through things, set aside anything you no longer need or want. Not only will it save you time upfront, but it will make unpacking go faster, too.
Other places to find movers and packers
If you’re moving to an area where Moving Staffers doesn’t have a moving crew connection, you can still find assistance.
If you’re looking to save money and avoid hiring a full-service company, try asking for recommendations from friends and family. Asking in person or on social media is a great way to find out who your friends would endorse (or who they suggest avoiding). You can also search online for moving assistance, but make sure the service you hire is reputable. Find out how to avoid moving scams by doing some research and being aware of common issues.
Combine U-Pack and loading help for easy, affordable moving
Ready to compare prices and see how affordable U-Pack can be (even with moving help)? Get a moving quote online or give us a call at 800-413-4799.