Enterprise Truck Rental Comparison
Considering Enterprise Rent-a-Truck?
If you’ve rented a car from Enterprise and had a good experience, you may be thinking about using their truck rental service for your move. They’re great for local moves, but if you’re moving long-distance, there are a few key distinctions to know as you’re researching. Let’s take a look at how Enterprise truck rental works, where their rental truck locations are, and how to make sure you choose the best option for your move.
How Enterprise truck rental works
- Round-trip only for rental trucks. Calling the local Enterprise location, we found that truck rental is a little different from standard car rental. One of the biggest differences is that round-trip rental is the only option with truck rental. This means you would pick up and return the rental truck to the same location. While this isn’t a problem for most local moves, it could be with a long-distance move.
- Rates can vary based on equipment. Some Enterprise rentals include set mileage then an additional fee for extra miles driven, others may have a mileage rental rate and some come with a per-day rental rate plus mileage rate — check with them to get the details on your specific move.
- Unlimited mileage normally isn’t included. We found that Enterprise rental trucks do not come with unlimited days or miles — it’s important to check this detail before hitting the road.
- Equipment varies by location. Enterprise offers a variety of rental vehicles ranging from cargo vans, pickup trucks, a 15’ parcel van, a 16’ cab-over truck, 24’ and 26’ straight trucks with lift gates. Because, like most rental truck companies, availability depends on the area, it’s a good idea to check with the rental location in your area to determine the types/sizes of trucks available for your move.
- Are you comfortable behind the wheel? No special license (other than a driver’s license) is required for driving this type of rental truck, but it is important to make sure you’re comfortable driving it — especially if you’re considering the 24- or 26-foot truck. If you have trouble getting to the location to pick up or return the rental, Enterprise offers to pick you up with car rental, but that service may not be available with truck rental. Check with the location in your area to verify whether it’s available. If not, you’ll pick the rental up at your location, drive it to your new home, and return it to the back to the Enterprise location you rented from.
- Towing availability can be limited. If you need to tow your vehicle with your Enterprise rental truck, be sure to check with the rental agent to make sure it’s allowed — your rental agreement should permit towing.
- Fuel is an added cost. As with all truck rental companies, it’s important to remember to factor in the cost of fuel — it isn’t automatically included in your rental cost. Our rental truck fuel calculator can help you estimate fuel costs for your move.
Enterprise rental truck locations
You’ll find Enterprise car rental locations in many places, however locations for truck rental are a bit more limited. The Enterprise website lists locations in 39 states and Puerto Rico and a separate fleet in Canada. Checking the locations in your specific area is recommended.
Looking for an alternative to Enterprise moving? Check out U-Pack
U-Pack is the way to move without ever having to drive a rental truck. You do the packing and loading, and we handle the driving.
We bring the equipment (either a moving trailer or moving container) to your home. You load your belongings inside, then we drive it to your new home. It alleviates the stress of drop off and pick up, choosing the right equipment, watching mileage and driving the truck. Instead of towing your vehicle, you can drive it (or ship it!) since U-Pack handles your move.
U-Pack offers coverage in a 50 states, Canada and Puerto Rico. With over 230 service centers, it’s likely we have a location near you! If you’re looking to save even more on your move, you can load and/or unload at one of our service centers. Just ask one of our moving experts for details.
U-Pack rates include the equipment, the transportation, liability coverage and fuel—so there are no surprises. To compare costs, click to get a free moving quote from U-Pack, or call us at 800-413-4799 to speak with a moving consultant. We’re happy to walk you through the options for your move.
Enterprise® is a registered trademark of Enterprise Holdings, Inc. Use of third-party trademarks or registered trademarks does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by such third-party.