Do Penske Coupons Really Save Money?
Will a Penske truck rental coupon save me money?
Before you book your move, you may be searching for a Penske coupon or Penske discount code. If you’re able to track down one of these discounts, you might find that it doesn’t make as big of an impact as you initially thought. While the coupon code could take a little bit off the cost of the rental truck, it won’t cover any of the “soft costs” associated with truck rentals like fuel, travel, and liability coverage. Let’s dig in and take a look at the discounts, those extra costs, and explore other ways you can save money on your long distance move.
Types of Penske coupons and what they cover
If you search online and locate some coupon codes for a Penske rental, keep in mind that they may come with stipulations. Some codes may only apply with an AAA membership, and some are Penske military discount codes only. But the main issue comes when you are figuring out your moving budget. There are so many extra costs that the discount code won’t cover, like:
- Gas costs. Depending on how far you’re moving, this could be the biggest additional cost you face. Fuel is always an added cost to a rental truck, but how much extra will it be? Penske reports that their trucks get 10-12 miles per gallon, and fuel mileage can vary depending on load, terrain, weather, and driving habits. At current gas prices, a move from Boston to Oklahoma City covering 1,500 miles would cost around $500 just for fuel. Use this rental truck fuel calculator to see your added fuel cost. Remember that even if you find a great coupon code from Penske for your truck, you’ll be paying full price for fuel.
- Towing. If you have more vehicles than drivers, you may need to add a tow dolly or car trailer to your rental. Depending on the Penske coupon you're using, it may not cover the cost of the towing equipment. Also, note that towing a vehicle will decrease your fuel efficiency, making the cost of gas even higher.
- Extra days. Penske rentals come with a set number of days for you to use when you move. If you need additional days, they are available for $50 per day. Your discount code may or may not cover these days.
- Liability coverage. Since you’re driving all of your possessions across the country, it’s important to find out what is and isn’t covered if there’s an accident in the rental. Purchasing insurance coverage is another item in your budget that a Penske coupon likely won’t cover. They offer 5 types of liability coverage. We gathered rates for a sample move from Boston to Oklahoma City to see how big of an impact these will have on your budget:
- Limited Damage Waiver $184 – Covers loss or damage to the truck or towing equipment.
- Personal Accident Insurances $56 – Covers death and accidental medical coverage for the renter and passengers.
- Supplemental Liability Insurance $147– Protects renter and drivers against third party claims for bodily or property damage as a result of an accident.
- Cargo Insurance $40 – Covers furniture and possessions from loss or damage due to natural disasters or accidents.
- Towing Insurance $44 – Protects against collision damage while vehicle in is in tow.
- Hotel stays. Since the recommended speed for driving a rental truck is 55 MPH (when towing a trailer or car), you may have to stop at a hotel during your move if you’re not able to cover the entire trip in a day. Of course, hotel stays are extra charges and Penske coupons won’t cover them.
- Meals on the road. Just like hotel stays, slower travel speeds in a rental mean more meals on the road. With just a family of four, extra days of dining out can add up quickly.
So how can you save money on your move?
If you want to move without all the add-ons that come with Penske truck rental, check out U-Pack. It’s a self-moving service where you don’t have to drive – your belongings are delivered right to your door. And the best part is you can move affordably without trying to find a coupon or discount code! Take a look at this sample move comparing rates.
From Boston to Oklahoma City for a two-bedroom home:
16 ft. Penske rental: $1581 (with their online discount)
Environmental fee: $9
Car carrier: $330.88
Limited damage waiver: $184
For a total of: $2,604.88
Even if you got a coupon for 20% off your truck, you’re still looking at around $1,843!
If you compare that with U-Pack, you can get 13 feet of trailer space (the equivalent to a 16 ft. rental truck) for $1,647, or 2 ReloCube containers for $1,934. U-Pack rates include fuel, liability coverage, taxes, and an experienced driver who delivers your belongings door to door. So for comparable prices, you can choose a “you pack, we drive” service and save time and stress from having to drive a Penske truck across the country.
Before you decide to go with Penske coupons or use a Penske promo code, get a free moving quote with U-Pack. When you compare the true moving costs for all the options, you'll see why so many people go with U-Pack. In fact, 68% of U-Pack customers considered truck rental as their first choice but went with U-Pack instead because of the price. If you have questions, just leave a comment below.
Want even more savings? Check out this coupon code!
For even bigger savings on your U-Pack move, use coupon code BLOG25 to save $25.
If you have any questions about Penske coupons or moving with U-Pack, leave a comment. We’re happy to help you plan your move!
Penske® is a registered trademark of Penske Truck Leasing Co., L.P. Use of third-party trademarks or registered trademarks does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by such third-party.