Cheapest way to move cross country
How to move across the country cheap
If you’re trying to keep costs low when moving long distance, you may be thinking about a DIY move. While doing some of the work definitely saves you money, you don’t have to do it all. See, U-Pack® isn't your typical moving company. We help you keep costs low, but we do the driving. It’s easy and affordable. In fact, in many cases, it’s the cheapest way to move across the country. You may not be familiar with a self-moving service like U-Pack, so check out how it works, learn how we make moving cross country cheap and get some tips to make your move as affordable as possible.
Moving long distance with U-Pack
As the U-Pack name suggests, you do the packing, loading and unloading to save some money on your move (and you get the benefit of not having to drive a rental truck). The service works like this:
- We deliver moving equipment to your door
- You get up to three business days to load
- We pick up the equipment and deliver it to your new home
- You get up to three business days to unload
If you're a "do-it-yourselfer" and can handle taking on some of the work to get a lower price, a "you pack, we drive" service is a great solution for moving cross country cheap.
What makes U-Pack the cheapest way to move?
Have you seen an ABF Freight trailer like this traveling on the highway or in your city?
This is the type of equipment your household belongings will travel in across country. It’s different than a traditional rental truck or even a full-service van line trailer because household goods aren’t the only thing that’s transported on it. You can load directly in the trailer if you choose a U-Pack trailer move, or your items can go in a ReloCube® moving container (more on that below). Once you finish loading your belongings, we fill the rest of the trailer with commercial freight headed in the same direction (think boxed electronics or palletized goods). This transportation system is one reason we may be the cheapest way to move.
Packing and Loading
Whether you choose the trailer or Cube option, the moving equipment comes to your home empty and ready to load. As stated earlier, that’s one way U-Pack makes moving cheap. You do the packing and loading (or we can recommend loaders or unloaders if you need them).
Our flexibility also keeps costs low because you’re only required to pay for the space you need. The trailer is 28’ long, but you just pay for what you use (with a 5 ft. minimum). Customers love the ability to control the price based on what they load (and what they leave behind). And there are no additional charges for things like fuel, taxes or basic liability coverage--it's all included in your U-Pack quote.
If you have limited parking, are moving a smaller home or are looking for a portable storage option, we also offer the ReloCube.
Just like our moving trailer option, it’s convenient and affordable. You can have as many Cubes as you think you’ll need delivered to your driveway, parking lot, etc. and you only pay for those you use.
Locations across the country
There are more than 230 U-Pack service centers located throughout the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico – great for efficient travel, fast transit times and lower prices. Professional drivers travel from terminal to terminal until they get to the location servicing your destination city, then a city driver delivers it to your home. U-Pack transit times average just 2-5 business days!
If you’re ready to see how much your U-Pack move will cost, click for a free moving quote. Prices are based on where you’re moving to/from, how much you’re moving and when you need to move.
Cheap moving tips
As you’re trying to figure out how to move across country cheap, here are a few tips that will help make your move a little easier and cheaper.
- Get rid of unwanted stuff. If you’re moving cross country, it’s a good idea to leave behind the things you don’t need or want. That’s especially important when you move with a service like U-Pack, where you pay only for the space you use. Cutting back on even a handful of boxes can make your cross country move less expensive. As you clean out your closets, drawers and cabinets, set aside anything you can donate, sell or throw away to help save space.
- Give yourself plenty of time. We recommend planning your move as far as eight weeks in advance so you have time to prepare. If you need help, our moving checklist breaks everything down so it’s easy to manage your tasks each week. While it’s possible to plan a move in less time, reserving as early as possible will help you lock in the best rate.
- Look for discounts on moving supplies. The best way to keep your belongings safe and secure while they move across the country is to use quality moving supplies. The U-Pack Box Store helps you get the cheapest high-quality moving boxes and supplies. We offer affordable prices with fast, free shipping.
- Load or unload at a service center. If you’re trying to save even more money, one of the best options is to load and/or unload at a service center. While this takes a little more effort, the savings can be worth it. Ask a U-Pack moving consultant for more info on how it works!
The cheapest way to move across states? U-Pack!
Do you have questions about how to move across the country cheap with U-Pack? Give us a call at 800-413-4799, get an online moving quote or leave a comment below. We look forward to helping!