Cheapest way to move cross country
What’s the best way to move across country?
If you want to keep costs low while moving cross country, a service like U-Pack®is often the best bet. While truck rental is frequently thought of as a cheap DIY option, U-Pack lets you save without having to do all of the work. It’s a “you pack, we drive” service that, in many cases, is the cheapest way to move across the country. Keep reading to learn how we keep rates low and get tips for cutting costs on your move.
How cross country moves work with U-Pack
Saving you money is at the core of our moving service. Doing the packing and loading is most cost-effective, and since we drive, you get the benefit of not having to drive a rental truck. The service works like this:
- We deliver moving equipment to the door
- You get up to three business days to load
- We pick up the equipment and deliver it to the new home (transit times average just 2-5 business days, 6-8 for true cross-country moves)
- You get three business days to unload
- We pick up the empty equipment
Wondering how much your move will cost? Click to get a free moving quote.
Why is it one of the cheapest ways to move across country?
Giving you the ability to pack and load is one way U-Pack makes moving cheap. But the way we handle transportation and pricing also helps cut costs.
Trailers are 28’ x 8’ x 9’, but they’re different from a rental truck — you don’t have to use the whole thing. And unlike traditional full-service moving vans where other households would be loaded together, yours is the only household goods shipment in the trailer. After loading, you install a bulkhead divider wall. Then, we fill the rest of the trailer with commercial freight headed in the same direction, which helps keep costs low.
ReloCubes are 6’ x 7’ x 8’ metal containers. You can use one or multiple to load your belongings, and then place a lock on the exterior. Cubes are then loaded into a trailer for transport.
Our primary transportation partner, ABF Freight®, quickly transports the shipment across the country. With over 230 service centers covering all 50 states, Canada and Puerto Rico, shipments are constantly in motion. Along the way, they will unload and reload freight, but your shipment doesn’t move from where it was loaded. Professional drivers travel from service center to service center until they get to the final destination, and a city driver delivers it to your home.
U-Pack is a “pay for the space you need” service, so you’re not paying for wasted space or trying to estimate the weight of the shipment. With the trailer, use as little as 5 linear feet or up to the whole trailer. And you can have multiple ReloCubes delivered, but only pay for the ones you actually use. There are no additional costs for things like fuel, taxes or liability coverage — they’re all included in a U-Pack quote.
If you’re ready to see how much your U-Pack move will cost, click for a free moving quote. Prices are based on locations, home size and move date.
Cheap moving tips
Here are a few tips that will help make a cross country move a little easier and cheaper.
- Get rid of unwanted stuff. It’s a good idea to leave behind the things you don’t need or want, especially when moving with a service like U-Pack, where you pay only for the space you use. As you clean out closets, drawers and cabinets, set aside anything that can be donated, sold or thrown away to help save space.
- Give yourself plenty of time. We recommend planning the move as far as eight weeks in advance so you have time to prepare. Our moving checklist includes all the important tasks and provides a timeline that’s easy to manage. While it’s possible to plan a move in less time, reserving as early as possible will help you lock in the best rate.
- Look for discounts on moving supplies. The best way to keep your belongings safe and secure while they move across the country is to use quality moving supplies. The U-Pack Box Store provides affordable prices with fast, free shipping.
- Load or unload at a service center. If you’re trying to save even more money, one of the best options is to load and/or unload at a service center. While this takes a little more effort, the savings can be worth it. Ask a U-Pack consultant for more info on how it works.
Have questions about cross country moving costs? Call us at 800-413-4799 or leave a comment below. Learn more about moving with U-Pack in these additional posts: