Advice on Packing for College
Packing for College? U-Pack can help!
Packing for college can be a difficult task— after all, there are lots of things to consider! Most students struggle with going from a decent-sized room of their own to having to share a really small room with a roommate. Of course, that means you won't have space to bring everything. Try following these seven easy steps to make packing for college a little easier.
Things to remember when packing for college:
- Check your school's guide to packing - Most schools will send out a dorm essentials' list. Be sure to use this as a guide, but don't feel like you have to follow it exactly. For example, it may say to pack a swimsuit. However, if you never swim, then don't waste space on the bathing suit! Find little ways to tailor the packing list to fit your needs.
- Contact your new roommate before you pack - Find out what he/she is planning to bring. Dorm rooms are limited on space, so there's likely no extra room for two televisions, refrigerators, or stereos. This will help you pare down the items you'll have to move when packing for college.
- Bedding - Double-check what size beds are offered in the dorms. Most colleges provide extra-long twin beds. Therefore, regular size twin sheets won't fit.
- School Supplies - Be sure to bring lots of schools supplies when packing for college. Must-have items can include: a daily planner, notebooks, pens, pencils, highlighters, staplers, note cards, and a small dictionary and thesaurus.
- Clothing - Save space by bringing only the clothes you will need. If you know you'll be making a trip home before fall/winter, then you can just pack your summer clothes to begin with. On your visit home, exchange your summer clothes for your cold-weather attire.
- Dorm Rules - Each school has different rules regarding what is and isn't allowed in the dorms; some schools allow microwaves and small appliances, but others don't. Be sure to find out what your dorm rules are before you start packing for college.
- Moving equipment - Renting a moving trailer or moving container is a great option that can save you (and your family) a lot of stress! You won't have to worry about driving an awkward rental truck, and you belongings can be delivered to your dorm once you arrive on campus. That's an option that's definitely worth looking in to!
Packing for college should be an exciting time in anybody's life. Give these steps a shot to make the move easier on you and your family. Have more questions about moving to college? Call us at 800-413-4799!