What questions do I ask moving companies?
Before doing business with a moving company, be sure to ask the right questions – ask about the business, their processes and procedures and about the type of service they provide. Here’s a list of important questions we think you should ask first. Then, I’ll tell you how U-Pack Moving answers those questions.
- How long has your company been in business?
- Is your company licensed to move household goods?
- Who does the driving (what company)?
- How is your price determined?
- Do I need to pay a deposit or down-payment?
- When do I pay?
- What happens if I use more/less space/weight than estimated?
- Are there any extra fees beyond what is mentioned on my quote?
- Is my move-out day guaranteed?
- How long will it take for my belongings to arrive at my destination?
- Can I guarantee a delivery day?
- Will my belongings be transferred or unloaded at any point in transit?
- Will my shipment be mixed with other household goods moves?
- Can I track my shipment while it’s in transit?
- Are there any discounted moving days or ways to save on my move?
Here’s how U-Pack answers these questions:
- How long has your company been in business? ABF Freight System, Inc., U-Pack’s transportation provider has been in the transportation business since 1923. We began focusing on shipping household goods in 1997 and have quickly become one of the most reputable moving services in the industry.
- Is your company licensed to move household goods? We sure are! ABF’s Motor Carrier (Interstate Operating Authority) number is MC299107342. Our DOT (Department of Transportation) number is 082866.
- Who does the driving (what company)? Almost every U-Pack move is transported by ABF Freight System, Inc.’s professional drivers.
- How is your price determined? U-Pack prices are based on the linear footage your shipment occupies in a moving trailer or the number of ReloCubes you use. You can see your moving price by getting a free instant moving quote.
- Do I need to pay a deposit or down-payment? No. With U-Pack you’ll never pay a down-payment or deposit.
- When do I pay? We’ll need a credit card for reservation purposes (no holds are placed on the card at the time of reservation). Your card is charged in transit, after your belongings are loaded and you know how much space you've used.
- What happens if I use more/less space/weight than estimated? You pay only for the space you use. Your U-Pack trailer quote includes a per-foot adjustment rate that you can add or subtract to determine your final price (down to a 5-foot minimum).
- Are there any extra fees beyond what is mentioned on my quote? There are no additional charges for fuel, taxes, highway tolls, etc. It’s all included in your quote.
- Is my move-out day guaranteed? Yes! Once you’ve made a reservation, your specific move-out day is guaranteed.
- How long will it take for my belongings to arrive at my destination? U-Pack offers some of the fastest transit times in the industry. We average 2-5 business days. Your moving quote will include the estimated transit time.
- Can I guarantee a delivery day? Yes! U-Pack offers the option to guarantee or expedite delivery by adding U-Pack Guaranteed.
- Will my belongings be transferred or unloaded at any point in transit? No. Once you load into a U-Pack moving trailer or ReloCube, your belongings stay there until they’re unloaded at your destination.
- Will my shipment be mixed with other household goods moves? No. We ship only one household goods move per trailer. After you finish loading you’ll install a diving wall that will separate your belongings from any commercial goods in the trailer.
- Can I track my shipment while it’s in transit? Yes! U-Pack offers shipment tracking online or by phone – 24/7.
- Are there any discounted moving days or ways to save on my move? Yes! Typically Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays at the beginning of the month are the lowest priced days. You’ll save money by avoiding Fridays, Holiday weeks and the end of the month. Ask your U-Pack moving specialist about the best days for your move. And, you can get an additional $25 off your move by using the coupon code BLOG11.
Now that you know the questions you should ask every moving company, you’re just that much closer to the big day. If you have any additional questions, the experts at U-Pack are happy to help. Leave a comment below, or call 800-413-4799!