Moving a Small Apartment Shouldn’t Mean Paying Big
If you’re looking for a cost-effective way to move your one-bedroom apartment cross-country, try U-Pack. Our cheapest moving option is the “Terminal-to-Terminal” move, where you do your loading/unloading at the nearest service center. We also offer affordable “Door-to-Door” moving prices. What’s even better is that we take care of the driving for you.
Terminal-to-Terminal or Door-to-Door?
If you’re really looking to save big, our Terminal-to Terminal option can help you do just that. You bring your belongings via personal vehicle or rental truck (depending on much you own) to the nearest service center for loading. Once it’s loaded, we take care of the transportation. Then when your things arrive at the destination service center, you’ll do your unloading there, and use your personal vehicle or rental truck to move your belongings to your new home. Sure, this option requires a little more work, but the cost savings can really add up. In fact, it costs on average $300 less to do a terminal-to-terminal move than a door-to-door move.
If you’re looking for a little more convenience, a Door-to-Door move is ideal. We’ll deliver the equipment direct to your home for loading and unloading, and pick it up when you’re done. In most cases, our door-to-door prices are similar to renting a truck and driving it yourself. U-Pack also lets you to do a combination of the two types of moves: Door-to-Terminal or Terminal-to-Door if you need more flexibility.
Click here and get an online moving quote to see the price of your move, or give us a call at 800-413-4799. With U-Pack, there’s no additional charge for things like fuel, taxes, tolls, standard liability coverage, or the driver!
U-Pack Small Move Equipment Options
The ReloCube is especially designed for small moves. It measures 6’ x 7’ x 8’ (LWH), which is enough space to hold the contents of a studio-size apartment. It holds up to 2,500 lbs. and can fit into a single parking space – ideal for crowded apartment parking lots. If you’re moving a fully-furnished one-bedroom apartment, you’ll probably need at least two. What’s great about U-Pack is that you can reserve as many Cubes as you need, but only pay for the ones you actually use. Hello, convenience.
If you need a little more flexibility, the moving trailer is a great option. At first glance, it may not look like the ideal fit – you’re not moving much, and this is a 28 ft. trailer. But with U-Pack, you only pay for the space you use (down to a 5 ft. minimum), which makes the trailer perfect for small moves.
A typical small one-bedroom apartment fits into around 6-7 linear feet. But let’s say you go ahead and reserve 9 feet, just in case. When moving day gets here, you pack high and tight, and end up fitting everything into just 6 feet. Great – you only pay for 6 feet! And what if you use more space than you reserve? That’s ok, too! There’s plenty of room inside the trailer. Just add the per-foot adjustment rate that’s included in your quote to see your price.
When moving a one-bedroom apartment, you may have a little more or a little less to move depending on the size of your apartment. Our Room-by-Room Space Estimator help you determine how many Cubes you might need or how much space you might use in the trailer. Whether you choose the trailer or Cube, U-Pack puts the power to control the price in your hands – a benefit U-Pack customers love.
How does U-Pack compare to truck rental for small moves?
It may have crossed your mind that renting a truck and driving it yourself could be another option for moving your apartment across country. However, there are a few things to consider before following that path:
- Fuel, taxes, tolls, and liability coverage typically aren’t included in a truck rental quote. U-Pack includes all those things!
- You might be wondering what size truck you need to move your apartment. With truck rental, you pay for the entire truck regardless of how much space you use. With U-Pack, you pay only for the space you use.
- You have to drive a rental truck and possibly tow your vehicle behind it. With U-Pack, we do the driving so you can catch a flight or drive your personal vehicle.
- You have to go get the truck, drive it, and return it. If you do a door-to-door move with U-Pack, we deliver, do the driving, and pick up, all for one low price.
Ways to lower the cost of your apartment move even more
If you’re moving on a tight budget, lowering the cost of your move is number one on the priority list. Here are a few more ways you can save more on your move:
- Before you pack a single item into a moving box, go through your things and throw out, donate, or sell anything you no longer want/need. Remember, the less space in the trailer or number of Cubes you use, the less you pay!
- Once you know what’s going with you, brush up on your packing skills with these helpful packing tips. Again, the less you move, the less you pay.
- Move on an off-peak day, like a weekday or at the beginning of the month, to see significant cost savings. Click here to view our Moving Calendar to see which days offer the cheapest rate.
- Since you’re in control of the price, load high and tight to make the most of the space inside the trailer or Cube. Our loading tips can help you do just that.
Other things to consider when moving a one-bedroom apartment
There’s more to moving your apartment than the move itself. Here are some things to consider before you start the move:
- Parking permits – you’ll definitely want to make sure you can legally park your container or trailer on moving day. Ask your property manager is a parking permit is required. If so, we’ll help you learn how to get a parking permit for a moving truck or container.
- Reserving the elevator – make going up and down the elevator or stairs much easier with our tips for elevator moving, moving up stairs, and down stairs.
- Security deposit – if you’re renting your apartment, then you’ll want to do everything in your power to get your security deposit back. Take a look at our post about how to get your deposit back when you move.
- Your lease – if you have to end your apartment lease early, our guide to how to get out of a lease can help you learn how to do it without or with very little penalty.
- Transferring utilities – we give you helpful tips on how to make transferring your utilities a breeze.
The Best Solution for Moving a One-Bedroom Apartment Cross Country?
You guessed it. U-Pack is a great solution for small apartment moves. You do the loading and unloading, and we’ll do the driving. Typically, it takes 2-5 business days to move across the country, which is helpful when all you want to do is settle into your new place and start exploring your new city.
Get a quote from U-Pack online, then use coupon code BLOG25 when you reserve your move to save an additional $25! If you have questions about how to move your apartment across the country, let us know – we’re happy to help!