So you are moving to Kansas? Awesome! What do they call residents in Kansas? Kansans? Kansanites? Kansanians? The official term for these nicknames is demonym. These can sometimes be confusing. Think about it: If you are from the United States of America, you are American. But if you are from the Netherlands, you are Dutch. The states can be just as confusing! But I made it easy for you! I did some research and found out what you call people from each state. Let’s take a look at what you call people based on the different regions in the US!
What do you call people from the Northeast Region?
You would call residents of the Northeast New Englanders. This region is comprised of nine states. Let’s explore the resident nicknames of these states alphabetically.
- What are people from Connecticut called? People from Connecticut are called Connecticuters most commonly. There are a couple lesser-used names that are just as fun: Connecticotian and Connecticutian.
- What do you call people from Maine? Most commonly, people from Maine are called Mainers. Other fun nicknames are Mainiac or Downeaster.
- What are people from Massachusetts called? Massachusetts has some of my favorite resident nicknames! You would call people from Massachusetts Massachusettsans, or Bay Staters (much easier to spell!). Sometimes the term Massachusite is used.
- What are people from New Hampshire called? You would call New Hampshire inhabitants New Hampshirites, or the lesser-used New Hampshireman.
- What are people from New York called? You likely know this one! New Yorkers!
- What do you call people from Pennsylvania? Pennsylvania residents are called Pennsylvanians, or Pennamites.
- What do you call people from Rhode Island? Folks from Rhode Island are Rhode Islanders, but they are sometimes referred to as Swamp Yankees.
- What are people from New Jersey called? New Jerseyans are what you would call NJ residents. Some would call them New Jerseyites, but that isn’t widely used.
- What do you call people from Vermont? People from Vermont are called Vermonters.
What do you call people from the Midwest?
Midwesterners are those who live in the 12 states that comprise the Midwest. They have some great demonyms!
- What are people from Illinois called? People from Illinois are called Illinoisans, but it is pronounced both with the “s” and with a silent “s.”
- What do you call people from Indiana? Residents of Indiana are most often referred to as Hoosiers. Rarely you might hear Indianian.
- What do you call people from Iowa? People from Iowa are usually referred to as Iowans, but you will also hear Hawkeyes and Iowegians.
- What do you call people from Kansas? Residents of Kansas are Kansans.
- What are people from Ohio called? People from Ohio are called Ohioans or Buckeyes. That’s right! The Buckeye is more than the mascot of Ohio State in Columbus, all Ohio residents are Buckeyes!
- What do you call people from Michigan? People from Michigan are known by many names. Most commonly, they are called Michiganians, but they are also known as Michiganders, and Michiganese. If you are from the upper peninsula, you are a Yooper, and a Troll if you are from the lower peninsula.
- What do you call people from Missouri? Residents of Missouri are known as Missourians. That one is easy!
- What are people from Nebraska called? You will hear both Nebraskan and Cornhusker to describe people from Nebraska.
- What are people from North Dakota called? North Dakotans are folks from ND, but they often shorten it to NoDaks.
- What do you call people from South Dakota? People from South Dakota are South Dakotans, of course!
- What are people from Minnesota called? Individuals living in Minnesota are known as Minnesotans, or sometimes Mud Ducks.
- What are people from Wisconsin called? Folks from Wisconsin are known are Wisconsinites, but you might know them as Cheeseheads!
What do you call people who live in the East?
Merriam-Webster dictionary calls these folks easterners, though it is not widely used. Easterners are those who live in one of the eight states and one district that make up the eastern region. Let’s take a look at what to call them!
- What do you call people from Delaware? People from Delaware are known as Delawareans, and they are sometimes called Muskrats.
- What are people from the District of Columbia called? People who live in Washington D.C. are known as Washingtonians.
- What are people from Florida called? Florida residents are known as Floridians most commonly, but sometimes they are called Floridans.
- What do you call people from Georgia? People who live in Georgia are Georgians.
- What do you call people from Maryland? People from Maryland are called Marylanders.
- What are people from North Carolina called? If you meet someone from North Carolina, you will call them a North Carolian, or a Tar Heeler.
- What do you call people from South Carolina? People from South Carolina are called both South Carolinians and South Carolinans. Take your pick.
- What do you call people from Virginia? Residents of Virginia are called Virginians.
- What are people from West Virginia called? People from West Virginia are called either West Virginians or Mountaineers.
What do you call people from the South?
Southerners are people who live in the south. There are eight states that comprise the southern region. What do you call people from those states? Let’s see!
- What do you call people from Alabama? People from Alabama are usually called Alabamians, but sometimes you will hear the term Alabaman.
- What are people from Arkansas called? Folks from Arkansas are typically called Arkansans, but the term Arkie is also used for short.
- What do you call people from Kentucky? If you are moving to Kentucky, you will be called a Kentuckian.
- What are people from Louisiana called? People from Louisiana have a mouth-full for a resident nickname! You would call them Louisianans.
- What do you call people from Mississippi? People from Mississippi are known as Mississippians. Another mouthful!
- What are people from Oklahoma called? Oklahoma residents are usually called Oklahomans, but you will also hear Okie and Sooner used to describe them.
- What do you call people from Tennessee? Tennessee inhabitants are usually called Tennesseans. They are also referred to as Volunteers.
- What are people from Texas called? People from Texas are Texans. However, sometimes they will be called Texians. The Spanish nickname for a Texan is tejano.
What do you call people from the Mountain region?
You have stumped me! I couldn’t find an official nickname for residents of this region. I suppose you would just refer to them according to the state they are from, or perhaps call them Mountaineers. Let’s take a closer look at the eight states comprising this region.
- What do you call people from Arizona? People from Arizona are typically called Arizonans. You may hear the term Arizonian as well.
- What are people from Colorado called? Colorado residents are known as Coloradans. Back in the day, they were called Coloradoans.
- What do you call people from Idaho? People from Idaho are called Idahoans. Less frequently, you might hear them called Idahoers.
- What are people from Montana called? Residents in Montana are known as Montanans.
- What do you call people from Nevada? People from Nevada are commonly referred to as Nevadans, although some will use the expression Nevadian as well.
- What are people from New Mexico called? Well, that depends on which language you speak! You will either call them New Mexicans or Nuevomexicanos.
- What do you call people from Utah? Most frequently, you will hear the name Utahn for these people. However, sometimes they are called Utonians or Utahans.
- What are people from Wyoming called? People from Wyoming are usually called Wyomingites. You may also hear Wyoman, but I think that leaves the ladies out! What about the Wyowomen?!
What do you call people from the Pacific region?
These folks would be called westcoasters. There are only five states in the Pacific region. Let’s explore what to call these folks.
- What do you call people from Alaska? People living in Alaska are called Alaskans. I have also heard the phrase Ice Chipper used as a nickname for them. There are also many native Alaskan tribes that you might hear used to describe native peoples of Alaska such as Aleut, Haida, or Inupiaq.
- What are people from California called? Another easy one! California residents are called Californians.
- What do you call people from Hawaii? People living in Hawaii are called Hawaiian. However, there are also a couple local terms that distinguish if you are a newcomer (malihini) or native-born (kama’aina). You may also hear them referred to as Islanders.
- What are people from Oregon called? Those living in Oregon would be called Oregonians. A lesser-used phrase is Oregoner.
- What do you call people from Washington? Those living in Washington State are called Washingtonians, which is confusing considering it is the same name for those from Washington, D.C.
BONUS: What do you call people from the U.S. Territories?
The United States has four unincorporated organized territories. Let’s explore what to call people from the US territories.
- What do you call people from the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands? Native-born people from the Mariana islands are Chamoru or Chamorro. People from the Northern Mariana Islands would be called Northern Marianan.
- What do you call people from Guam? People from Guam are called Guamanians. Native-born people are Chamoru or Chamorro.
- What are people from Puerto Rico called? Puerto Ricans are people from Puerto Rico, or you might hear the Taino term “Boricua” used to describe those from Puerto Rico as well.
- What do you call people from the US Virgin Islands? These people would be called Virgin Islanders.