Comparing U-Haul’s Rental Requirements to U-Pack
Because many of our customers are trying to decide between renting a truck to drive themselves and doing a “you pack, we drive” move, it’s not uncommon to get the question, “what do I need to use U-Pack,” and “how does that compare to U-Haul’s requirements.” So today, let’s first look at what you need to rent a U-Haul, then we’ll look at how that compares to moving long distance with U-Pack.
What do you need to rent a U-Haul® Truck?
- You need to be at least 18 years old
- You need a valid driver’s license
- You need a major credit card for online reservation (a hold will be placed on your card at the time of reservation)
- If you’re paying with cash, you need a $100 deposit plus the estimated rental rate when you pick up the equipment
- If the card holder is not present with the equipment is picked up, the person picking it up will need a credit card, driver’s license and phone number for verification (they will also be responsible for the equipment/contract)
And though these aren’t rental requirements, they are additional costs that you'll need to be aware of when it comes to renting a truck: Fuel (you can use the rental truck fuel calculator to figure out those costs), damage coverage, and sales tax.
What do I need to reserve a long-distance move with U-Pack
- A credit card for reservation
Simple, right? U-Pack takes care of the driving, so a driver’s license isn’t required. And though you need a credit card to reserve, no holds are placed on the card, and there’s no deposit. You can pay on the credit card while the shipment is in transit, or, in most cases, you can pay with a cashier’s check or money order at the destination. It’s an easy process that customer’s love.
If you’ve yet to get a U-Pack quote, getting one online is easy! Simply enter the basic details of your move, and we’ll show you the price instantly. If you have any more questions about how what you need to rent a U-Haul compares to moving with U-Pack, we’ll be happy to help. Just leave a comment below, or give us a call at 800-413-4799.
More Resources Related to Moving with U-Haul®
U-Haul vs. Budget vs. Penske vs. U-Pack
Frequently Asked Questions about U-Haul Truck Rental
U-Pack vs. U-Haul
U-Haul Gas Calculator
What is the largest U-Haul you can rent to move across country?
Why U-Haul Won’t Rent A Trailer for a Ford Explorer?
U-Haul Truck Sizes