Thinking about using a moving container for your upcoming move?
Great idea! Moving containers are super convenient (since you don’t have to drive) and ideal for storage, too. But with so many container options to choose from, it can be difficult to decide which one is best for your move. Today, we’ll help in your search by taking a closer look at the U-Box® from U-Haul and how it compares to the ReloCube® from U-Pack.
U-Box vs. U-Pack
What’s the size of each container?
The ReloCube is 6’3” D x 7’ W x 8’4” H. It sits flat on the ground for easy loading and unloading, has a capacity of 320 cubic feet, and can hold up to 2,500 lbs. It typically fits one room of furnishings (like a studio-size apartment). You can read more about size and interior dimensions here.
The U-Box is 8’ L x 5’ W x 7’6” H. It sits 6 inches off the ground, has a capacity of 257 cubic feet, and can hold up to 2,000 lbs.
What are they made of?
- The ReloCube is custom-built of weatherproof steel.
- The U-Box is made of plywood with a vinyl cover.
[Photo from www.idratherbeinfrance.com]
How do I get the container to my home?
U-Pack delivers the Cube right to your door for loading. Then, once it’s loaded, just call to schedule pick up, and we’ll deliver right to the door at your destination. The Cube will be delivered for loading and unloading on a flatbed traile or drop-deck trailer (the type of equipment varies across the country). During transit, the Cube is moved inside an enclosed trailer.
U-Box has four delivery options:
- The first option is Truck Delivery—this is the most similar to U-Pack door-to-door service. The container is delivered by truck and picked up when you finish loading.
- The second option is called Moving Help Delivery, where movers deliver, load and transport the container back to the U-Haul facility.
- The third option is Trailer Delivery. With this option, U-Haul will deliver up to two U-Boxes at a time on a trailer.
- The last option is Self-Delivery. You go get the U-Box, bring it to your house for loading (within 6 hour time limit), then take it back to the U-Haul facility for shipping. If you choose this option, keep in mind that you can’t use a Ford Explorer (here’s why), your vehicle must be able to haul 3,500 lbs., and it must have a 2 inch ball hitch.
Do I have to be there when the container is delivered or picked up?
For ReloCube delivery (at the origin and destination), you or someone you designate should be available to sign for the Cube(s) and show the driver where to place it. But, you’re not required to be present at pick up on either end.
- This varies across the country, so you’ll want to ask your local U-Haul location to verify their policy.
How do I secure my things inside the container?
The ReloCube is equipped with tie down points from floor-to-ceiling throughout the interior to keep your belongings secure.
- The U-Box has two D-rings located on each side of the box to strap items down.
What’s included in the price?
U-Pack prices include transportation costs like fuel, an experienced driver, liability coverage and highway tolls. And there are no additional charges for taxes!
- U-Box prices include delivery costs to transport the container to and from your home, the cost for shipping, and the cost to store the container for one month (either at your residence or at the U-Haul facility). Liability coverage is not included in your price, but can be added for an additional charge.
When am I charged for the container?
With U-Pack, you don’t have to pay until after your belongings are loaded and you know exactly how many Cubes you need (so no waiting on a refund).
- With U-Box, the morning of delivery you’ll pay for the number of containers you reserve. If you don’t use all of the containers, a refund will be issued.
Can I track the container during transit?
Yes! 24/7 online or by phone. Just enter your tracking number or your reference number online, or have it ready when you call.
- U-Box does not offer shipment tracking in transit.
How do I know when the container is ready for delivery?
Since you’re able to track your delivery during transit, we normally instruct customers to call the destination service center 1-2 days before the estimated delivery date to schedule a delivery appointment. You can even opt for text message reminders so you don’t forget to call.
- Because you can’t track the U-Box during transit, U-Haul typically calls or emails when the containers arrives at the destination.
How long does it take to move?
Let’s take a look at a few example moves to see estimated transit times for each company.
- Moving from Dallas, TX to Phoenix, AZ, U-Pack estimates 3 business days, and U-Box estimates 10 business days.
- Moving from New York to San Francisco, U-Pack estimates 5 business days, and U-Box estimates 12 business days.
- Moving from Tulsa, OK to Indianapolis, IN, U-Pack estimates 3 business days, and U-Box estimates 9 business days.
U-Pack also offers a guaranteed delivery date if you need to know the exact day your belongings will arrive. This option is not available with U-Haul.
How do U-Box and U-Pack prices compare?
The best place to start is with a moving quote. You can get instant prices online, or by calling 800-431-4799. And if you have more questions about how the services compare, let us know! We look forward to helping!