U-Box vs U-Pack
Considering a container for your move?
Great idea! Moving containers are super convenient, since you don’t have to drive, and they’re ideal for storage, since you can load it and leave it until you’re ready to unload. Let’s take a look at two long-distance moving and storage options – U-Haul’s U-Box® and the U-Pack ReloCube®. We’ll compare container size, how they’re made, delivery options, how pricing works and more.
U-Box vs. U-Pack
How do the moving containers compare in size?
- Externally, ReloCubes are 6’3” x 7’ x 8’4” (dwh), and internally they’re 70" x 82" x 93”. Read more about size and interior dimensions here.
- Externally, the U-Box is 8’ x 5’ x 7’6” (dwh), and internally it’s 95" x 56" x 83 ½".
Interior of U-Pack ReloCube
How much can the containers hold?
- ReloCubes can cold up to 2,500 lbs, typical for one room of furniture and boxes
- The U-Box can hold up to 2,000 lbs., also typical for one room of furniture and boxes
Interior of U-Haul U-Box
What are they made of?
- ReloCubes are custom-built, metal, weatherproof containers
- The U-Box is constructed of plywood with a vinyl cover
How are the containers delivered?
U-Pack offers a few delivery options:
- Door-to-Door delivery – ReloCube(s) are delivered to your door on a flatbed or drop-deck trailer, using a forklift to place the container in your driveway, parking lot, etc. (the type of trailer used for delivery varies by location)
- Terminal-to-Terminal – You save money by loading and unloading your belongings at a local service center (on average, this option saves customers $300 over a door-to-door move)
- Hybrid move – Have your belongings delivered to your door on one end of your move, and go to the terminal on the other. It’s another great money saving option.
U-Haul offers four delivery options for the U-Box
- Self-delivery – you tow the U-Box to your location and bring it back when you’re finished loading. Your vehicle must be able to haul 3,500 lbs, and be equipped with a 2” ball hitch. And, it cannot be towed with a Ford Explorer (here’s why).
- Load/unload at U-Haul – You load/unload your belongings into the U-Box at a U-Haul location.
- Moving Help delivery – Includes labor that delivers the U-Box, fills it, and moves it to your destination (or stores it), then delivers and unloads.
- Truck delivery – This is the most similar to U-Pack door-to-door service. The U-Box is delivered to your location and picked up with you’re finished loading.
Do I have to be there when the container is delivered or picked up?
- For ReloCube delivery (at the origin and destination), you or someone you designate should be available to sign and show the driver where to place it. But, you’re not required to be present at pick up on either end.
- This varies across the country, so you’ll want to ask your local U-Haul location for verification.
How do I secure my things inside the container?
- The ReloCube is equipped with floor-to-ceiling tie-down points throughout the interior to keep your belongings secure.
- The U-Box has two D-rings located on each side of the box to strap items down.
What’s included in the price?
- U-Pack prices include transportation costs like fuel, an experienced driver, liability coverage and highway tolls.
- U-Box prices include delivery costs to transport the container to and from your home, the cost for shipping, and the cost to store the container for one month (either at your residence or at the U-Haul facility), and furniture pads. Liability coverage is not included in your price, but can be added for an additional charge.
When am I charged for the container?
- With U-Pack, you pay after your belongings are loaded and you know exactly how many Cubes you need (so no waiting on a refund).
- With U-Box, the morning of delivery you’ll pay for the number of containers you reserve. If you don’t use all of the containers, a refund will be issued.
Can I track the container during transit?
- Yes! 24/7 online or by phone. Just enter your tracking number or your reference number online, or have it ready when you call.
- U-Box does not offer shipment tracking in transit.
How do I know when the container is ready for delivery?
- Since you’re able to track your delivery during transit, we normally instruct customers to call the destination service center 1-2 days before the estimated delivery date to schedule a delivery appointment. You can even opt for text message reminders so you don’t forget to call.
- Because you can’t track the U-Box during transit, U-Haul typically calls or emails when the containers arrives at the destination.
How do U-Box and U-Pack prices compare?
The best place to start is with a moving quote. You can get instant prices online, or by calling 800-431-4799. And if you have more questions about how the services compare, let us know! We look forward to helping!