Do you need help shipping household goods?
If you need rates for shipping your household goods long distance, U-Pack is a great place to start—especially if you’re hoping to avoid the high prices many full-service movers charge, and you don’t want to drive a rental truck across the country.
How to ship household goods with U-Pack
To ship your household goods door-to-door, a moving trailer or ReloCube is delivered to your home, and you get up to three business days to load. Once everything’s loaded, the equipment is picked up and delivered to your destination. You also get up to three business days to unload.
Terminal-to-terminal household goods shipping is ideal for those with small shipments. You load and/or unload your belongings at a local service center, and save significantly in the process.
If one of these options fits your needs, or if you need help planning your move, call a household goods shipping specialist at 800-413-4799 for a quote, or get a free quote online.
How U-Pack shipping rates are calculated
Rather than trying to estimate the weight of your household goods, your U-Pack rate is based on the linear footage your shipment occupies in the moving trailer or the number of Cubes you need (we’ll explain the equipment in a bit). For your initial quote, you can use the Simple Space Estimator to figure out how much space (or how many Cubes) you’ll need, or you can get much more detailed by using the Room-By-Room Space Estimator.
Let’s say you’re trying to get shipping rates for moving a three-bedroom home that’s about 1,800 sq. ft. Based on the simple space estimator, we think you’ll need somewhere around 21 linear feet inside the trailer (which is equivalent to a 26 ft. rental truck). Your moving quote would include the rate for 21 linear feet, along with a per-foot adjustment rate that’s added or subtracted if you need more or less space. This means if you need more space, it’s always available, and if you can fit everything into less space, you pay less. It’s a win-win.
Now let’s say you need shipping rates for a 600 sq. ft., one-bedroom apartment, and you prefer the ReloCube because of parking restrictions. We estimate that you’ll need two Cubes. On moving day, you end up fitting everything into one Cube. Voilà! Since everything fits into just once Cube, you guessed it…you only pay for one.
That’s why so many customers love U-Pack.
U-Pack household goods shipping options
Like I mentioned, you can choose to ship household goods with U-Pack in a trailer or ReloCube:
- The trailer is 28 ft. long, 8 ft. x 6 in. wide and 9 ft. tall. That gives you about 2,000 cubic feet of loading space. In other words, the loading space for the full trailer is comparable in size to a 26 ft. rental truck, plus another 10 ft. rental truck (with some space left over). It’ll come to you completely empty, and it includes a ramp for loading and unloading.
- The ReloCube is 6 ft. 3 in. deep, 7 ft. wide, and 8 ft. 4 in. tall. That gives you about 370 cubic feet of loading space. It sits flat on the ground for convenient loading and unloading. Just load it, put your padlock on it, and it’s ready to go. You can reserve just one or as many as you need.
How long it takes to ship with U-Pack
Whether you select door-to-door or terminal-to-terminal shipping, U-Pack is ranked among the best when it comes to transit times. Where traditional household goods shipping services can take up to 4-6 weeks to deliver, U-Pack transit times average just 2-5 business days. Getting your belongings sooner rather than later is certainly a perk our customers enjoy.
Tips for shipping household goods safely with U-Pack
We aim to make it your move as simple as possible, which means arming you with some our best household goods shipping tips:
- Once you have a U-Pack reservation, it’s time to get packing. The more items you have ready to load on moving day, the less time you’ll spend on actually moving. To get started, pick a room in your house and spend a day or two packing things into moving boxes. Pare down items you don’t need/want and set them aside for donation. And don’t forget to clearly label each box so they’ll be easy to identify when unloading at your new home.
- When actually loading, pack high and tight. Since U-Pack rates are based on the space (or number of Cubes) you use, it makes sense to utilize the most space possible by loading as high as you’re comfortable with. Also, be sure to secure your shipment with bungee cords or utility rope so they’re less likely to shift and become damaged in transit.
- Before you and your family hit the road (or the skies), make sure you’ve packed a moving day kit that includes things like prescription medication, moving information and directions, snacks, and travel activities. In addition, we also recommend packing an ‘essentials box’ that you can grab first thing when you start unloading.
- Get organized with our free (and printable!) Moving Checklist. It’ll help you stay on track through the entire process.
How to find cheap shipping rates? Go U-Pack!
If you’re looking for household goods shipping rates, start with an instant quote from U-Pack. You’ll be hard pressed to find a better way to ship your household goods; U-Pack is easy and affordable! If you have any questions, just give us a call at 800-413-4799. We’re happy to help.