Shipping Rates for Household Goods
Do you need help shipping household goods?
If you're trying to find cheap shipping rates for a long distance household goods move, U-Pack is a great place to start—especially if you’re hoping to avoid a high-priced full-service move and driving a rental truck across the country. U-Pack can help you with long-distance shipping, military shipping and shipping to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and Canada. Let’s take a look at how it works and how to figure out the cost.
How to ship household goods with U-Pack
U-Pack has three options for shipping your household items:
With door-to-door household goods shipping, a moving trailer or ReloCube is delivered to your home, and you get up to three business days to load. Once everything’s loaded, the equipment is picked up and delivered to your destination. You also get up to three business days to unload.
Terminal-to-terminal household goods shipping is ideal for those with small shipments. You load and/or unload your belongings at a local service center, and save significantly in the process.
You can also do what we call a “hybrid move,” where you go to the local service center on one end of your move and have it delivered to your home on one end. It’s a great way to save money moving!
If one of these options fits your needs, or if you need help planning your move, call a shipping specialist at 800-413-4799 for rates, or get a free quote online.
How U-Pack household goods shipping rates are calculated
Rather than trying to estimate the weight of your household goods, your U-Pack rate is based on the linear footage your shipment occupies inside the moving trailer or the number of Cubes you need (we’ll explain the equipment in a bit). For your initial quote, you can use the Simple Space Estimator to figure out how much space (or how many Cubes) you’ll need, or you can get much more detailed by using the Room-by-Room Space Estimator.
Let’s say you’re trying to get shipping rates for moving a three-bedroom home that’s about 1,800 square feet. Based on the simple space estimator, we think you’ll need somewhere around 21 linear feet inside the trailer (which is equivalent to a 26 foot rental truck). Your moving quote would include the rate for 21 linear feet, along with a per-foot adjustment rate that you can add or subtract if you need more or less space. If you need more space, it’s always available, and if you can fit everything into less, you pay less.
Now, let’s say you need shipping rates for a 600 square foot, one-bedroom apartment, and you prefer the ReloCube because of parking restrictions. We estimate you’ll need two Cubes. On moving day, you end up fitting everything into one Cube. Voilà! Since everything fits into just one Cube – you guessed it – you only pay for one.
That’s why so many customers love U-Pack.
U-Pack household goods shipping options
Like I mentioned, you can choose to ship household goods with U-Pack in a trailer or ReloCube(s):
The trailer is 28 ft. long, 8 ft. wide and 9 ft. tall. That gives you about 2,000 cubic feet of loading space. It’ll come to you completely empty, and it includes a ramp for loading and unloading. Space is measured in linear feet, which is one foot of length and the entire width and height. You can use as little as 5 linear feet (5’ x 8’ x 9’) or up to the entire trailer. Your rate is based on the space you use.
The ReloCube is a 6 ft. 3 in. deep, 7 ft. wide, and 8 ft. 4 in. tall metal container. That gives you about 370 cubic feet of loading space. It sits flat on the ground for convenient loading and unloading. Just load it, put your padlock on it, and it’s ready to go. You can reserve just one or as many as you need. You only pay for the ones you use.
U-Pack household goods shipping services
U-Pack handles a variety of shipping scenarios.
State-to-State moves. This is what U-Pack specializes in. Your U-Pack price includes fuel, taxes, and the driver, and you’ll often find rates that compare with truck rental. With access to service centers all across the country, U-Pack can provide service to all 50 states and Puerto Rico.
International shipping. U-Pack offers shipping services from the U.S. to and from Canada and Mexico, with transit times that are typically much faster than other international shipping companies – so you won’t have to wait months to receive your belongings. Get more information about moving to Canada and moving to Mexico.
- Military household goods shipping. If you’re planning a PCS move across the country, U-Pack is a great place to start. We can provide full and empty weight tickets, fast transit times, and a military moving specialist to make sure your move goes smoothly every step of the way. Read more about military shipping with U-Pack.
How long does it take to ship with U-Pack?
Whether you select door-to-door or terminal-to-terminal shipping, U-Pack is ranked among the best when it comes to transit times. Where traditional household goods shipping services can take up to 4-6 weeks to deliver, U-Pack transit times average just 2-5 business days. Getting your belongings sooner rather than later is certainly a perk our customers enjoy. A moving quote will give you your estimated shipping time, and if you need your items faster, we also offer expedited service with U-Pack Guaranteed.
Tips for shipping household items safely with U-Pack
We aim to make it your move as simple as possible, which means arming you with some our best household goods shipping tips:
- Once you have a U-Pack reservation, it’s time to get packing. The more items you have ready to load on moving day, the less time you’ll spend on actually moving. To get started, pick a room in your house and spend a day or two packing things into moving boxes. Pare down items you don’t need/want and set them aside for donation. Clearly label each box so they’ll be easy to identify when unloading at your new home. And, don’t forget to check the Do Not Ship list for items not to pack.
- When loading, pack high and tight. Since U-Pack rates are based on the space (or number of Cubes) you use, it makes sense to utilize the most space possible by loading as high as you’re comfortable with. Also, be sure to secure your shipment with straps, bungee cords or utility rope so they’re less likely to shift in transit.
- Before you and your family hit the road (or the skies), make sure you’ve packed a moving day kit that includes things like prescription medication, moving information and directions, snacks, and travel activities. We also recommend packing an “essentials box” that you can grab first thing when you start unloading.
- Get organized with our free (and printable!) Moving Checklist. It’ll help you stay on track through the entire process.
How to find cheap shipping rates? Go U-Pack!
If you’re looking for household goods shipping rates, start with an instant quote from U-Pack. You’ll be hard pressed to find a better way to ship your household goods; U-Pack is easy and affordable! If you have any questions, just give us a call at 800-413-4799. We’re happy to help.