Shipping Rates for Household Goods
Shipping household goods
If you're trying to find the best way to ship household goods, U-Pack® is a great option. Let’s take a look at how U-Pack service works and how much it costs so you can determine which household moving solution is right for your situation.
Household moving with U-Pack
Whether you’re moving a house full of belongings or shipping select items from a studio apartment, U-Pack has the ability to meet your needs. Our three delivery options include:
With door-to-door household goods shipping, a trailer or ReloCube® is delivered to your home. You then have up to three business days to load items before the equipment is picked up for delivery to your destination. You’ll have three business days to unload, too.
The terminal-to-terminal option is ideal for small moves or people who are looking for the lowest rates possible. Loading and unloading at a local service center Is a great way to save on pickup and delivery costs!
Another option is what we call a “hybrid move” which consists of going to a service center on one end of the move and having items delivered to your home on the other end. It’s another option to help you save and build a customized move that fits your specific needs.
What’s the cost to ship my goods?
Traditionally, the cost of moving household goods is based on the shipment’s weight. But U-Pack does things a little differently. Rather than using weight, a U-Pack rate is based on the amount of space your items take up inside the trailer or the number of Cubes needed. Determining your final price is simple with U-Pack’s method because it’s easy to see how much space is being used rather than trying to guess how much everything weighs. Because each household goods move is different, get a free quote online to quickly determine move costs.
We’ll use an example to show how U-Pack rates work. Say you’re trying to get quotes for moving a three-bedroom home that’s about 1,800 square feet. Using our simple space estimator, you’ll need around 21 linear feet inside a U-Pack trailer. The quote includes the rate for 21 linear feet along with a “per-foot” adjustment rate. Just add or subtract from your initial quote based on how much space you end up using. If you need more space, it’s always available, and if everything can fit into less, you pay less.
We offer flexibility with our ReloCubes, too. Say you need shipping rates for a 600 square foot, one-bedroom apartment, which we estimate would take about two Cubes. If everything fits into one Cube (after purging several items or being great at packing and loading), you only pay for one.
Customers love the service, control and price!
U-Pack household goods services
Take a look at the variety of moving scenarios we’re designed for:
State-to-state moves. This is what U-Pack specializes in – with access to service centers across the country, U-Pack provides service to all 50 states and Puerto Rico.
International shipping. U-Pack offers services for moving goods between the U.S. and Canada, with transit times that are typically much faster than other international shipping companies. Get more information about moving to Canada from this helpful blog post.
- Military household goods shipping. If you’re planning a PCS move across the country, U-Pack is a great option to consider. We can provide full and empty weight tickets, fast transit times and a military moving specialist to make sure your move goes smoothly. Read more about military shipping with U-Pack.
Don’t see your situation on our list? Call us at 800-413-4799 to discuss options.
Why use U-Pack to ship belongings?
Now that we’ve covered our services and how it works, it’s time to discuss some other benefits of shipping household goods with U-Pack. These benefits include:
- Low cost. Through an efficient network of terminals across the nation, U-Pack is able to offer long-distance shipping rates that compare to truck rental prices in many locations. There are no additional charges for things like fuel, taxes, tolls or the driver. It’s just one, all-inclusive price. Learn more about cheap shipping rates.
- Flexible options. U-Pack offers multiple options to help customize moves. You can choose the equipment type that works best, decide when and where you want items picked up and delivered and even add storage if more time is needed!
- Fast transit times. Many traditional shipping companies take weeks (and sometimes months) to deliver household goods. U-Pack transit times average just 2-5 business days. If you need your items even faster, we also offer expedited service with U-Pack Guaranteed.
- Top-notch customer service. There are several areas where U-Pack shines, but one of the most important is our reputation for great customer care. When you call U-Pack, you’ll speak with experienced moving consultants who are trained to help you through the entire process — from helping you find the lowest cost of moving household goods to planning moving day logistics.
Tips for shipping household goods safely
Once you’ve determined how your belongings will be shipped, you’ll need to start planning the move. We aim to make the process as simple as possible, which means sharing some of our best tips:
- Organizing. Get organized with our free (and printable!) moving checklist. It’ll help you stay on track through the entire process.
Packing. After making a reservation, it’s time to get packing. Start by ordering professional moving boxes to protect the shipment. Since our rates are based on space, it’s a great idea to pare down items that are no longer needed or wanted. While packing, clearly label boxes so they’ll be easy to identify when unloading at your new home. Don’t forget to check the do not ship list for items that shouldn’t be packed and loaded in your moving equipment.
Loading. Loading items high and tight has several advantages — it helps you keep cost to a minimum by maximizing space inside the trailer or container, and it can also prevent items from moving around. Be sure to secure belongings with straps, bungee cords or utility rope so they’re less likely to shift in transit.
- Leaving. Before hitting the road, pack a kit that includes things you’ll need as you travel to your new home like prescription medication, moving information and directions, snacks and travel activities. We also recommend packing an “essentials box” to be loaded last so it can be grabbed first when unloading.
Ready to move?
U-Pack is an easy and affordable way to move long distance. Get started with an instant moving quote or call 800-413-4799.
Have questions? We’re here to help — leave a comment below.