Quick Curb Appeal Projects You Can Do in an Hour
Easy Curb Appeal Projects
Whether you want to improve your home’s first impression or get it ready to sell before moving, adding some curb appeal can really make a big impact. Sure, you can go crazy and completely redo the exterior of your home, but most of us are weekend warriors with limited budgets. How can you take your humble abode from “blah” to “wow”? In just an hour, you can add fast curb appeal. Surprisingly, it doesn’t have to take a ton of time or money to make your home more inviting – just use these simple ideas to spruce up your space.
Quick Ideas to Up Your Curb Appeal
For a TON of inspiration, check out our Pinterest board “ Weekend Curb Appeal Projects”! In fact, it’s an open pin board, so you can pin your favorite projects there as well.
- Start with your front door. A good cleaning and a fresh coat of paint can work wonders! Don’t be afraid of color. Red paint on the door goes well with white, blue, cream, or grey homes. Black matches most exterior colors, and a bright yellow goes well with light colored houses. Just look at this cheery front door from Elliot Brown. So inviting! To finish this project fast, choose paint that doesn’t require a primer, like Glidden Duo.
- Replace hardware. For a modern finish, opt for satin nickel, antique brass, matte black, or oil rubbed bronze—all very popular right now. You can switch out the doorknobs, locks, and even light fixtures to update the look. If you’re on a tight budget, keep in mind that you don’t actually have to replace the hardware, just paint them! Spray paint is available in several metal finishes, so you can redo your hardware in a snap. Check out our pinboard for paint options.
- Add greenery. Lush ferns and potted plants near the door make an entry way more lavish. Choose bigger plants in neutral planters to pack a punch, or choose some bright planters if you’re brave. Just don’t go overboard; you want your space to look manicured and welcoming, not like a green house. One nice potted plant on each side of the door is a good balance. Potting a plant takes about 15 minutes—how’s that for quick curb appeal?
- Add lighting. Shed some light on your home to add curb appeal even when the sun goes down. With some simple solar lights and spotlights, you can easily add some nighttime charm to your residence. Check out how the outdoor lighting adds to the curb appeal of this home from The Morrisons. This project only required a trip to a home improvement store, then just sticking the lights in the ground. Very fast!
- Clean your gutters. Remove debris and then clean your gutters with a power washer. It’s amazing how nice they’ll look once they’re free of leaves and gunk. You can typically rent a power washer from your home improvement store and finish the job in an hour or less.
- Landscape. Fresh mulch and some flowers can really make your yard stand out among the rest. Spend an hour on spreading fresh mulch one day and an hour planting new greenery in the front yard the next to end up with some impressive curb appeal that dramatically changes the look of your home.
- Spruce up your garage door. Fancy garage doors can cost a fortune. Did you know you can buy a carriage door hardware kit for around $20 at your local home improvement store? Adding decorative elements to such a functional part of your home is easier than you might think. Update: one of my coworkers was so inspired by my post, she ran out and tried it herself after work—here’s the before and after!
These quick curb appeal ideas will add interest to your home, and maybe even attract potential buyers (which is especially important if you’re trying to sell!). Try out these simple improvement ideas over the weekend and enjoy your home’s facelift!