Now that you have your Permanent Change of Station orders to begin moving to Fort Wainwright, you have a choice to make: let the government plan the move for you or do a Personally Procured Move (PPM), where you are in charge of your move. I suggest getting the best of both worlds (and possibly pocketing some of your moving allowance) with a “you pack, we drive” moving service like U-Pack. With U-Pack, you can get rates similar to truck rental, but you don’t have to drive. Sound like an ideal way to move to Ft. Wainwright? Then keep reading!
Click here to get a free moving quote from U-Pack here. Or, call 800-413-4799.
Moving to Fort Wainwright – How it works
There may have been a time when PCSing to Fort Wainwright was cheapest when done in a rental truck. Times have changed. There’s a reason why Fort Wainwright is home of the “Artic Warriors” –it can get extremely cold and icy in the winter months – not ideal conditions for driving a rental truck. And even in the warmer months, dealing with Canadian moving requirements and driving the long ALCAN Highway all the way to Ft. Wainwright can be daunting.
When you PCS with U-Pack, you can pay a rate comparable to truck rental, and you don’t have to worry about driving, weather conditions, or meeting Canada moving regulations. Here’s how a DITY move to Fort Wainwright works with U-Pack:
- U-Pack brings a trailer, moving container, or ocean container to your home.
- You load within three business days.
- U-Pack moves your belongings from your location to the port in Tacoma, WA. Your belongings will set sail to Anchorage.
- Once your belongings arrive in Anchorage (typically in 11 business days), U-Pack will drive your belongings direct to your door in Ft. Wainwright.
- You unload within three business days.
- U-Pack picks up the empty equipment.
So, you can pack it, load it, and hop on a plane…or if you’re a little more adventurous, take a trip in your own vehicle up the ALCAN Highway or take a Ferry through the Alaska Marine Highway System. A U-Pack PPM move to Ft. Wainwright will typically cost less, be faster, and be easier on you than driving a rental truck.
Things to remember when PCSing to Ft. Wainwright
There are a few things you should remember to do before moving to Ft. Wainwright:
- Contact your local TO (transportation office) to make sure you qualify for PPM. Then, fill out the necessary paperwork and square away all of the details of your move. Meet with them as early as possible, as your PPM move and your mode of travel must be pre-approved by your origin TO.
- Find out your moving allowance. If you spend less than your moving allowance with U-Pack, then you get to keep the rest of the money. This makes doing the loading and unloading of your belongings worth it.
- Get a moving quote from U-Pack. Remember, U-Pack includes an experienced driver, sales tax, road tolls, and most important, fuel.
- Once you’re approved to do a PPM, book your move with U-Pack. Let your U-Pack moving representative know that you’re doing a military move. Also, you’ll need to request certified weight tickets. U-Pack can provide these for you for a fee. In order to be reimbursed for your move, you’ll need to have these.
- Get organized and start packing for moving to Fort Wainwright! Watch this loading tips video, take advantage of these packing tips, and use this moving checklist to help keep you organized!
Get a free moving quote here and you’ll soon be moving to Fort Wainwright with U-Pack. I hope this information has been helpful to you. I really think you’ll find U-Pack to be the easiest and most affordable way to PCS to Fort Wainwright. If you have any questions, just leave a comment below, or call a U-Pack moving specialist at 800-413-4799.