I'm moving from Canada to the U.S. What do I need to know?
Planning your move from Canada to the U.S.
A move from the “True North Strong and Free” to the “Land of the Free and Home of the Brave” requires a good deal of preparation and planning. If you need to move your household goods across the border into the U.S., you’ll need to submit the correct documentation and take the right steps. The information here can help you ensure your household goods make it successfully to the United States from Canada.
Moving to the U.S. from Canada? Here are 6 things you should know.
You can move from Canada to the U.S. easily with U-Pack®.
U-Pack is a “you pack, we drive” moving company that can help you move your household goods from Canada into the U.S. Just pack and load a moving trailer or moving container, and we’ll move your items from your home in Canada to your home in the United States. Since there’s no need to meet your items at the border, you can travel to the U.S on your own schedule, however you want. U-Pack will also clear your shipment on your behalf with U.S. and Customs Border Protection as it crosses the border. Easy as that!
To see if U-Pack services your location in Canada, call 800-413-4799 (ask to speak to a Canada moving specialist). You can also get a free moving quote online or by calling.
The right documentation ensures a smooth move.
There’s a common misconception that moving from Canada to the U.S. is difficult. But that’s just not true. If you have the right paperwork, it makes things go a lot smoother.
Here’s the documentation you’ll need to give U-Pack for your items to cross the border and be cleared:
- A black and white copy of the page in your passport that has your photo
- A copy of your visa showing that you have legal authorization to move yourself and your household goods to the U.S. (email firstname.lastname@example.org if you won’t get your visa before arriving in the U.S.)
- A copy of your completed U.S. Customs Form 3299 – Declaration for Free Entry of Unaccompanied Articles
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection I-94 (a copy of the form or passport stamp)
Click here to see a detailed information guide on moving to the U.S. from Canada, including form download links, form instructions, and more information on requirements.
There are certain items you can’t bring into the U.S.
When you move to the U.S. from Canada, there are certain items that can’t cross the border.
- Items not considered personal household goods (e.g. commercial goods)
- Anything illegal, poisonous, flammable, corrosive, or perishable
- Anything extremely costly or rare (e.g. works of art, antiques)
- Anything with a VIN number (cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc.)
Check the U-Pack Do Not Ship list for a full list of items you can’t put in the trailer or container.
It’s easy to track your shipment.
What’s great about U-Pack is that you can track your shipment online at upack.com 24/7, or call the destination service center directly for a status update. Once you find out your shipment has arrived, you can schedule delivery to your new home.
You can get there fast.
Anytime you move, you want to get your belongings as soon as possible. U-Pack averages delivery times of 5-7 business days for moves to the U.S. from Canada. That’s much faster than the 2-4 weeks it could take full-service movers.
An affordable move is possible.
U-Pack is a very affordable option for your move to the U.S. Unlike other moving companies that charge by the weight of your shipment or what truck size you rent, U-Pack charges by the space you use – whether that’s the number of linear feet your shipment occupies in the trailer or the number of containers you use. With other moving companies it’s all or nothing; with U-Pack, you have the freedom to control your price. Now that’s budget-friendly.
Other things Canadians should know before moving to the USA
- If you need storage, you can store your items directly in the trailer or container in Canada or the U.S, whichever you prefer.
A $24.40 customs administration fee applies to all moves from Canada to the U.S.
- You can find answers to specific U.S. customs questions by calling U.S. Customs and Border Protection at 877-227-5511 (within the U.S.) or 202-325-8000 (outside the U.S.).
Have questions about moving from Canada to the U.S.?
Contact a U-Pack moving specialist at 800-413-4799 to get a moving quote or ask questions, or leave a comment below and we’ll be happy to help.