How to Move a Mattress
If you are like me, at the end of a tough day, nothing feels better than crawling into your bed. If you cherish your comfy mattress, you will want to be extra careful with it when moving day comes. I learned some tips for moving a mattress that I would love to share with you! Let’s get started!
How to Move a Mattress: Step-by-step Instructions
- First, you need to remove your bedding. You will pack those into their own moving box. I recommend washing and drying your bedding before packing. This way, your bedding is fresh and clean when you arrive at your new house.
- Next, make sure you have help to move your mattress. Mattresses are big and heavy, so never try to move one alone. You could damage the mattress or hurt yourself.
- Make a clear “work space” near the bed for the next step. Just clear an area close by. Then, remove the mattress from the bed frame and take it to the work space.
- Wrap the mattress in a mattress bag. These are fitted, plastic bags that will protect your mattress against tears, dirt, and other mishaps during the move. You will want to securely wrap the mattress bag in tape to make sure the bag stays in place.
- Label your mattress by writing on the mattress bag. For example, “Master bedroom” or “John’s room.” This will ensure that your mattress ends up in the right bedroom when you unpack.
- Now it is time to actually move the mattress. First off, make sure you never bend or fold the mattress. If you have to wind around stairs or through walkways, make sure those areas are free of other furniture, as it can be difficult to maneuver the mattress around those items.
- For carrying the mattress, I recommend using forearm forklifts to easily lift the mattress.
- When you get to the moving trailer or ReloCube, load the mattress against a wall. If you have multiple mattresses, you can stack them upright together. And in between the mattresses is a great place to stash large frames or mirrors (after you wrap them up of course!). *Note: Memory foam mattresses should always be moved flat. Don’t stand a memory foam mattress on end. Also don’t stack heavy items on top of the memory foam mattress as it can deform the mattress. Always refer to the manufacturer’s instructions for moving a memory foam mattress.
- When it is time to unload, carefully carry your mattress inside and use caution when unwrapping it. Be careful not to cut the mattress as you remove the packaging.
For the actual transportation of your mattress (and other stuff), check out U-Pack! U-Pack is a self-move service where you pack and load, but U-Pack does all the driving. U-Pack’s rates are comparable to truck rental, but you never have to drive! Get a free moving quote to see how you can move with U-Pack with or without moving help.If you have questions about how to move a mattress, or how to move with U-Pack, just leave a comment below.