February is National Wedding Month!
February is National Wedding Month! And since weddings are just one of the many reasons people move across the country each year, it's big news to us.
So, why February for National Wedding Month? You might think it's because the "day of love" is in February, but according to the National Association of Bridal Consultants, that's not it at all. Instead, February is when most couples begin planning summer and fall weddings. If you're starting to plan your wedding (or if you're like me and just enjoy browsing wedding stuff), check out these top wedding trends for 2013. But first, let's look at some often overlooked planning tips.
National Wedding Month: Wedding Planning Tips
- If you are planning your wedding for 2013, 2014, or 2015, take a look at this list of dates of holidays for 2013. Some people avoid holiday weekends, while others want to get married over those long weekends. Whatever your plan, this list will show you when all those holidays fall in 2013, 2014, and 2015.
- Don't forget to make plans for after the wedding! Figure out how to change your name, change your voter registration, and more. Also, if you will be moving after the wedding, start planning for your move by getting a free moving quote.
- Start planning early! Remember that popular dates can fill up quickly, so the earlier you start planning the better!
- And here are a few things I forgot about until the last minute when planning my wedding. Maybe you can be more on top of it than I was!
- I forgot to designate someone who would light the candles at the ceremony and reception. We had a family friend running around right before the reception lighting candles.
- I also forgot to plan for a "toss bouquet" for the reception. I didn't want to give my bouquet away in the toss, and we didn't have a "look alike" bouquet ready. Luckily, one of my bridesmaids was from out of town and couldn't keep her bouquet, so I threw hers! Be sure and plan for the little details, too!
Now that you know some planning tips, let's look at some of the hottest wedding trends of the year so you can start planning!
Top Wedding Trends of 2013
According to TheKnot.com and SheFinds.com, these are some of the hottest wedding trends for 2013.
Prints are going to be big this year! From damask to polka dots to chevron, prints are in! You could express these prints in the décor, or what about trying something unexpected with your wedding cake? The Cake Blog posted this beautiful chevron cake that I couldn't love more!
Another popular thing you will see in weddings is laser cut embellishments. Wedding paper, from invitations to programs, will be featuring this delicate look. These invitations from Boris and Doris showcase this beautiful trend!
In terms of the dreaded bridesmaid dress, in 2013, dresses may get a bit more stylish! Straight from the runway, dresses for Spring 2013 are featuring peplums! A peplum is a short, gathered piece of fabric around the waist…and they are super trendy at the moment! Check out this inspiration board from TheBlush.com featuring cute peplum bridesmaid dresses!
Don't worry, brides! Bridesmaids aren't the only ones getting stylish this year. For 2013, sheer is the look for bridal gowns. From sheer overlay for straps, to sheer lace, you will be seeing lots of see-through in 2013! Here is a great example from Monique Lhuillier featured on TheKnot.com!
The last wedding trend you will see in 2013 is the color mint. Yes, mint like mint chocolate ice cream! This light green hue is hot! You might see this color in the bridesmaid dresses, in the invitation paper, or even on the dessert table with some macaroons. This inspiration board from The Foundist showcases the best ways to use mint in your wedding.
We can't wait to see all the awesome details you are going to plan for your wedding. Make sure you share your photos with us on our Facebook page. We are excited to see these trends in a real wedding. And don't fret, grooms! Later in the month we will have a National Wedding Month post for you, so be on the lookout!